Thursday, July 2, 2015

I knew what my plans were this morning & my old "I CAN'T" mentality was powerful. "It's only 6. I did 14 a few days ago... But these are hills- lots of hills... I want to curl up & stay home. It will be good practice for Cleveland. It's a lot less than 16, later, this week! I 'can't..."
I got myself ready & headed out. The 1st three miles were pretty awful. I was foggy, clumsy, nothing felt natural or easy. I had taken 3 puffs of inhaler & was still having trouble breathing.... I just couldn't sync up. I thought about stopping after mile 3 but knew I'd kick myself, when home for not sticking with it. --Then something wonderful happened. I woke up. Even though I was warm because of the weather, my muscles warmed up. I thought of my upcoming races & played them through my mind. I planned my nutrition & decided which hydration vest I am finally getting. Before I knew it, the horrible hills were done. I know they will make me a stronger runner. I walked as I needed to but ran as much as I could. I felt accomplished & stopped at our local bike shop on the way home. Julie is the owner & was working, today. She is also an Ironman. She qualified & participated in Kona. We talked nutrition & I bought some single flavors of a lot of different items-- just to try different things. I've heard good things about Honey Stinger waffles-- wow! Yummy!!! Definitely packing these on my ultras! Lots more flavors & goodies to try.

What started as a mentally weak run finished with a feeling of accomplishment. I "rewarded" myself with a compliment, some nutrition samples & a new pair of sunglasses!

16 mile run, yet, this week. I'll do a lot less hills, then.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment