Monday, January 16, 2017

Yesterday, I wrote about heart rate training. I posted information about a podcast onto Facebook. Within a few minutes I had people telling me how low their heart rate was... then asking what mine was. I had someone else telling me their heart rate "just couldn't get above XXX no matter what they did." When someone expressed a higher heart rate, person #2 said "That's weird..." -It went from individual performance to comparing (and competition) of performance. I deleted my post. -I usually never post my training times. I don't post onto Strava. Race day is hard enough without making EVERY day a performance/race. Sometimes I barely squeak out the miles. Today was no exception.

The thought of a 6 mile run, today, didn't seem daunting yesterday. "Easy-peasy," I thought. As I got up & around, my usual negative talk started. "I can't do 6!!!" (Ummmm... I did 17, Saturday... I KNOW I can do 6-- it's a matter of how WELL I can do 6-- according to my own standards) -I gave myself permission to go slowly, be sucky & only do "two" (laps of 3 miles each). I can't explain why this comforts me, sometimes. The math is the same-- it's 6 miles... but somehow telling myself "2" isn't daunting. I couldn't get my heart rate monitor to sync because I shut it off, last night. It finally paired at some point that I didn't notice; &, my experiment didn't happen, today. -It's done. And despite my initial trepidation, it wasn't as horrible as my mind was telling me it was going to be. ðŸ˜‡ My buddy Lucy slowed me a bit with her ample sniff-pee-poo breaks but I didn't mind, today. 

They say the hardest part is getting out the door. Sometimes, that is VERY true. 


No comments:

Post a Comment