Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I was scared out of my mind; but I came to swim class, anyways, today. I want to learn how to swim... but I'm too scared & overwhelmed to go to swim class, sometimes (most times). Flailing around in front of a bunch of strangers, in a bathing suit is intimidating! My teacher is calm & understanding. I know once I GET here, she will calm me & we'll get it done. I very pointedly told her the above. I may want to-- but fear will keep me from actually doing it, without her in the pool right now. I feel like I need a "confessional." I need to explain that I am too scared to come solo; so, I don't practice away from our swim lesson. She's cool with it & takes it in stride. We start a length & I only make it 1/2 way across the pool. 😕 She asks, "When you run, do you start at a sprint?" She already knows the answer but uses running illustrations so I understand. I explain it took a good year to understand pacing when running. She explains slow, methodical, full arm pulls. This makes sense to me because, when running, your feet follow your pumping arms if you want to pick up the pace. The same, conversely, made sense by slowing down my arms- my feet would follow. I slowed my arm pulls, which slowed my pace, which slowed my need for air, which helped make it across the pool!!! I went across the pool numerous times-- five times to be exact!!! I was beside myself! They weren't fluid. I reverted back to "bear clawing" my hand positioning-- but goll darn it, I made it across that pool! Again... & again... & again... My breathing was often; but getting air helped me make it across!

I think now, I may make solo trips to the pool. I proved- to myself- that I can. Now it's practice that I need. My form will smooth out as I get more comfortable, I think.

I am one happy guppy. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment