Sunday, January 1, 2017

I had a 5K, today. Our local running group has a great race director. He comes up with these silly themes that make a "run" into a FUN RUN. Last night was the Midnight Special. It was a 5K that I ran with Jim, at Midnight. Jim wanted to do it & I promised I wouldn't leave him (like I did 2 years ago). *WOW-- talk about tension, afterwards* --Last year he was just getting out of the hospital, again-- so we didn't participate. This year he is healthy enough to participate; but, he has run the same race, faster. --TODAY, however, I was solo at the Hangover Classic. It was another 5K exactly 12 hours apart from the Midnight Special. - I was anxious & excited. I have been running at Jim's slower pace for a few months. What if I couldn't kick it up? I haven't even TRIED. What if my tight Achilles RIPPED during the race & I was out of commission for a year?! What if I went too fast & puked in front of everyone --& someone took a picture of it?! (It's happened!) What if my hip slipped & I had to slow WAY down & gimp walk?! Would people think I can't run fast?! I didn't have Jim, so I absolutely couldn't use any excuse. Today was M-E. I used the bathroom 60 times this morning but I was going to make it to this race despite what my nervous gut was threatening. 

At the race, I saw, chatted & waved at people I recognize-- by MYSELF (!!!). Ed gave his usual pre-race directions & good humored jokes. The gun went off & I took off at a comfortable pace. Mile one was 8:15. As I passed a mile, the course got a bit rolling-hill-ish. Mile 2 & 3 were slower as I didn't want to heave on the inclines & STOP. I picked it up at the finish. I didn't "red zone" at any time. I pushed my training pace & I've settled into a new 5K pace. (I never thought I'd see mid to low 8's. Now, they are the norm without seriously pushing.) I've "touched" a sub-8 mile, this year, a few times. I suspect it will be my new 5K pace-- eventually. I've decided to cut back on my sugar intake. If I can lose weight that will increase my speed as well. 

After the 5K, I came home & got Lucy ready for more miles. I missed my long run, this week & was pleasantly surprised when I realized today was Sunday-- not Monday! YAY! I went to the trails & they instantly zapped my legs. My plan was 3.5 "out" then 3.5 "back" for 10 miles, total, today. It was rough & I tripped numerous times-- like seriously "caught air". There were still spots with snow & ice-- & I didn't have Yaktrax. I ran out of steam & eventually we walked. I didn't nearly have enough caffeine to get me through, today. BUT-- I did the mileage at whatever the pace. 
I ended up taking a nap- not nearly long enough, but not enough to affect sleep, tonight. Jim & I discussed his training. In the past he refused to listen to any plan I offered. TONIGHT, though, I pulled out the Dave's Marathon in Training 1/2 Marathon Plan. As we poured over "where" he is (week 5) he AGREED to use it. I was floored! We talked about my plan & the fact that I'm putting money into a MARATHON training group. "I want to do a marathon this Spring." (I had signed up for Toledo's full marathon-- but if Jim runs his first half, I promised I would run with him.) I told him about Canton again & how doing a 1/2, with him the previous week, would actually follow MY marathon training plan. --He agreed, again!!! (I'm on a roll!!!) So, it looks like I'm heading to Canton! 

We discussed caffeine & me running out of steam, today. We discussed hydration & I told him I bought a new OrangeMud (single bottle) hydraquiver. It's not technically new because it's from a running mom. She didn't use it because she likes handheld bottles. I thought I'd use it-- but I offered it to Jim. (Right now, I'm carrying drinks for both of us in my double bottle hydraquiver. Neither of us finds running with handhelds comfortable.) He, again, accepted. GEEEEEZ & WOWSAS!!!

So while today wasn't a PR in a few areas, I got a few "wins". :) We've got a plan, gear & we agree! Life is pretty good, today-- & even Lucy is happy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment