Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Jim is laying the ground work for his first 1/2 marathon. I am training for a full. Officially, this is week one of the 16 week Glass City Marathon training schedule. As I looked at my training schedule from the Marathon in Training group, I noticed two things. First: it's more days than I usually ever run-- ever. (Hmmmm maybe THAT'S why people are faster than my 3 days a week training). Second noticed feature: 1/2 marathon schedule on the other side.

Jim has always balked when I've shared training schedules with him. I shared the Dave's training schedule. He actually considered it! -I tried to show him how the increases were spaced over the 16 weeks. "Technically you're at week 5." (8 mile long run) "If we repeat week 5, you'll have two weeks of hitting 8 miles before we jump to 9, then you have two weeks at 9 miles before they jump up, again." -Jim was pretty receptive to having a plan but making it his own. Since he is already a few weeks ahead on the plan, it will give him the chance to do longer runs than the schedule shows, later. As we looked to see how it compared to my schedule, it matched up! My week one & "farther" are equivalent to his mid training schedule. We've been able to log miles together! I have slowed to meet his pace but he is mutually benefitting me! (It is difficult to train solo! -It's not impossible but having someone with you makes it nicer.) -I'm helping him... but he's helping me! Cold, windy miles would be pretty sucky, solo. I wasn't alone & he's getting ME to do more days of training. I'd say that's a win-win. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment