Sunday, January 8, 2017

Very frosty 5 miler with the Dave's Marathon in Training Group, Saturday AM. It was my first group run- EVER. The Speer plan was for Jim to come & run 8. I would run with my group then finish with him. He didn't get up; so, I did 5 miles with the 1/2 marathon group (instead of our planned 7) so I could get back & run with Jim. It was COLD at the beginning! Our breath was freezing on our eyelashes, eyebrows & hair. Made for some serious bragging rights! :) I came home to find Jim wasn't having a good day with his sugar & just wanted to sleep. We didn't do mileage until the end of the day. Instead of 8, we did 5, together. He still has plans for a 1/2 marathon in April.  I ended up with 10 miles. I don't want to do anything less for a long run. It's "mental". Double digit long runs make me feel like I can potentially do "anything."


Free race? Of course! Sunday the Toledo Roadrunners had their annual Donut Dash. It was a 4 mile prediction race which means, you don't necessarily need to be the fastest to win. The person closest to their predicted time is the winner. This makes it crazy for the people doing all of the math-- but for us running, it's fun. Some runners did the Crazy 8 Challenge. In the past, when the gun went off, they were to eat 2 (large) donuts at the start line & 2 at each mile! This year, they only had to eat one at each stop. I did not participate in the Crazy 8 challenge. I did however resolve to run & go easy. When the gun went off, I took off. I had to remind myself to "chill". It was a 4 miler, today- not a 5K. I predicted 39 minutes. 9:30 min miles plus some change. My time was under 36 minutes. 😕 --Did I mention it was cold? Not as cold as yesterday but still chilly!!! I triple layered but wasn't comfortable with the way layer 1 was feeling against layer 2. It kept "catching." When home I realized my base layer was inside out & backwards! In my defense, it was dark when I was getting ready. I figured I had gained weight so my shirt was tight around the underarms. 😆 I considered a costume but it was too cold & I picked the puffiest vest in my closet. It's not a streamlined running vest with reflective trim & branded to make you look fast. It was simply a lime green POOFY vest. In this weather, I pick warmth & utilitarianism over fashion. Plus, I'm warm (enough) at the beginning & unzip to vent, as I warm up. Hat came off, eventually. Mittens were on & off... then on, repeat. Second layer was unzipped to vent, also. I interacted a bit but was eager to get home to see Jim off. He planned a hunting trip after work, today. His plans changed due to the weather. He ended up planning/cooking meals, then left to do a floor job in Toledo. This meant I had food when I got home! *YUMM-O!*

I did bring home ONE donut. Hannah asked me to bring one home for her. It had a safe ride home- only to be devoured as soon as it came onto the kitchen. 🍩 Some runners ate a donut at every mile & took a donut home. I did not; I think I would have been sick. Gave the big thing to the girls & Jim. They said it was good.


We had a busy weekend. Friday was a 4-H banquet for our group. Advisors & kids were acknowledged for their years of participation. I even applied for a grant, for a class, at the Toledo Museum of art! *hopeful*

I am writing & shutting down. I think I'm hitting the hay, early, tonight. School drop offs come early in the morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment