Sunday, January 15, 2017

I'm not sure "why", but yesterday's miles glitched out on my iRunner. Before we ran together Jim saw my miles in HIS iRunner! 😮 I'm not sure what happened but indeed I ran +9 miles with the group, Saturday. THEN, I ran 8 miles with Jim! I'm surprised I am not hurting more. I'm a bit tight but nothing to worry about. I've been holding out at 10 for a long run for awhile... I'm proud I could do it. Jim was surprised when I said I was going to go with him. He did great! His pace is slow right now but he never stopped to walk. He has a cruising speed and significantly picks it up at the end!

I bought a "new" (used) OrangeMud hydraquiver from a mom running site. It's a single barrel & I have a double barrel but only use one side. Mine is a vest and I love the extra front pockets and the fact that I don't have to carry a water bottle. I usually carry hydration for Jim & myself on a long run. I gave him the single barrel & it was a quick adaptation! I prepped some Tailwind into the bottle & he was his own independent being! 👍🏼 I did remind him to drink every couple of miles. He commented at the end that he wasn't thirsty at the beginning and he noted the variation of the taste of the drink at the beginning of his run compared to the thirsty end of his run. 😊 He is most definitely more of a natural at this than I am. His gait is straight. He has a steady cadence and doesn't over stride. He isn't affected by other runners around him despite recognizing them. Every runner learns their cruising speed- a speed that is slow and effortless that allows them to really go for long distances. He's got that understanding.

The next thing we need to work on is hills and elevation changes. That will translate into a good pace and leg strength overall. I think he's ready for it on some of his shorter runs. I hope he's receptive to it. It's gonna' really suck... but it can be fun, too-- especially on race day!

Week three of marathon training starts Monday. He is unofficially in week 6 of 1/2 marathon training. I'd say we're on a roll! 👍🏼

No comments:

Post a Comment