Friday, January 27, 2017

I'm new to podcasts. Someone recommended Mojo for Running. It has been informative. While I started listening to it, at work, I found out that Runner's World had a podcast. I LOVE IT! Then Runner's World got another podcast: The Human Race. I LOVE IT! I found out about a fourth podcast: Another Mother Runner. At first I found Sarah's speech to Dimity a bit demeaning- okay a lot demeaning... but Dimity didn't seem to mind. Then I saw photos on their website. Holy cow! I certainly don't need to "protect her." She is (in her own words) an Amazonian woman (6'4")! As I tried to get past the chit-chat, I learned a lot. I learned about Altra shoes. I learned about heart rate training... then I heard the following podcast. Another Mother Runner podcast - Mental Toughness  OH MY!!! I listened to it at work. Then I listened a second time due to distractions. I listened a third time, at home, where I could take notes.
Many know I doubt my abilities. I, often, get PHYSICALLY SICK with anxiety before a race or even a training run. I emotionally shut down. I tell myself to suck it up... but I feel worse if I "yell at myself" & implode. I have listened to this podcast numerous times & this is what I took away from it (for me): POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY.
*Do not focus on avoiding being fearful--> you end up steering right toward it (Don't tell yourself: "Don't be scared of -----." It's putting the idea in your head & will backfire.)
*Connect to something positive or NEUTRAL to keep you moving (When skiing, don't fear hitting a tree. Focus on the area between the trees & you will steer there.)
*Remind yourself: "This is what I love..."
*Remember: you are "prepared" (In life we get sick or situations arise that we miss training. Remember that you've prepared for years before this...)
*Focus on your BREATH- slowly & deeply to create a calm
*As endurance athletes we are an anxious or pressed bunch, we get wrapped up in tracking too much (HR, pace, etc).
*Connect to your body's "flow of movement." (Get out of analyzing everything & be in the moment of what your body is doing. Focus on that breathing.) 

I found myself getting anxious about tomorrow's long run. I heard this last night & today. I feel butterflies as I contemplate tomorrow with a group of people... but I will attempt to apply the points above. 

The question I get the most is: "Why do you get so anxious?" I was seriously injured at the beginning of learning to run. I kept running in that injured state with no relief- a leg out of socket & a misaligned SI joint. All of my "progress" was making things WORSE. I equate any progress with an eventual downfall. I am taking steps to avoid this but biomechanics are often going to stay. I am always waiting "for the other shoe to drop." 

For now, I follow the training, do more preventative... & remember to breathe... 

No comments:

Post a Comment