Tuesday, November 1, 2016

There is a great weight removed when you admit your limitations. I find this makes you more approachable. I enjoy expressing my good and bad moments in running & training. Some say I share too much... but, I find it appeals to other "late bloomers" like I was. I didn't try running until I was 40. I thought people "just KNEW" what they were good at-- from a young age. Nature vs nurture? I believed nature was the deciding factor. THEN... something happened. I got a pep talk (repeatedly) & I tried. I tried running: secretly, solo, privately. It wasn't pretty, at the start... but after I started trail running-- I just wanted to keep going. I wanted others- especially women- to have this weight removed of what a woman needed to "look" like. I wanted women to feel strong, confident & capable. So I started "preaching the gospel". I was asked to be an ambassador for the Glass City Marathon. I started a blog to promote the race... & found great joy in keeping this running diary! I would write the good, the bad & the ugly of running. I would share the beauty of the woods through photos as well as the silly, crude stories of runny noses & tired legs. If people could see the "journey", I hoped they would see a "regular mom" could have success, too. 


Eventually, a mom from our 4-H group started texting me. She explained running to her barn... then running there & back... -Eventually she accepted a challenge to do a 5K from a workmate.  She & her husband started a Couch to 5K program. We spoke often and I gave her information on running apps, shoes, clothes, pace, etc. I planned on showing up to cheer at their race. Then Jim started running, again-- farther... faster... He wanted to run this event, too. So we did. (Photo by Running with Larry Photography)




Our 4-H family finished their race. Jim said the look on Dawn's face was: "YEAH! I can do this! What ELSE can I do?" Does it matter what their pace was? -NO- Imagine how good I felt when I was told: "Sarah, this is 'XXXX'. She challenged me to run. You inspired me to run." --WOW!-- I've been told some pretty amazing stuff. People have thanked me in many different ways for encouragement... but this is a compliment I won't forget! Someone paid it forward to me. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seeing the look on new runners' faces! It's an ego boost; an a-ha moment; a realization that there is physically & mentally more in us than we know. "The SKY is the limit" realization is a force for good!


 So where are WE, now? Jim is, steadily, increasing his mileage. He cut his hair. He has gained muscle & we spend time, together, with the girls. Running is not the most important thing in our life; but we ENJOY it... & we enjoy time, together. Time together IS important... & we're loving every mile...

No comments:

Post a Comment