Friday, November 18, 2016

Being a mom is tough, today. I got into a "discussion" about homeschooling, this week. While at one time we considered it as a viable avenue, I am glad we "didn't". For a person to think they are the best  teacher- 100% of the time- is completely unrealistic. I am not just talking social interaction, either. What happens if something happens to the parent? The child has been in a controlled environment & will have a shock at some point in their life. As I tried to reason, a woman says, "Homeschooling is the best!" --End of conversation-- It is the very thing I don't want our girls to be, unreasonable. Our girls have been in public school. I have spent many hours at their school as a presence. The girls grew up knowing they could go to the nurse & call me if their teacher ever made them feel uncomfortable. There is a fine line between being respectful of authority & allowing them to be abusive. The girls knew a teacher's authority was relative not absolute. We attempted to build up our school district by working in & with the school as often as possible. Our girls know what a good place home is. They appreciate this safe place & while they would rather not be in the cattle barn of school, it has helped them appreciate College Credit Plus & an early dismissal with college credit. Working with public school has not been easy but the girls have a good sense of schedule & what battles to pick up & which to leave alone. I don't think homeschooling teaches this.

Now, however, the girls look to further education. They trust me & I feel overwhelmed guiding them,  today. Scholarship applications are overwhelming. I expect the girls to work.  They will & they will earn their grade. I can say I did not slant any grade toward their advantage in a homeschool setting. I have seen this. Our girls can show their work & not "boast" being the top GPA of their class of homeschooled one. It sounds mean. I'm not trying to be mean. I think kids need empathy but realistic views of the world. A parents' job is to protect their kids from harm... if it's there... but a parent needs to prepare their kid for the world. Sheltering your kid doesn't help them survive. Thriving is possible in harsh conditions if a parent is present to guide.

Today, though, this parent is fried. I'm laying in bed, brain dead... but then I listen to the girls talking about Pokémon & laughing. They interact well with each other & us. They are good people. We're all doing our best. I know homeschooled parents think they are doing good deeds. I just don't view it as long lastingly beneficial.  I am fried this Friday- dealing with school & college schedules of two girls that don't drive. I will miss this,someday... but not today.

No school this next week is a welcome break for all of us! Momma's gonna sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment