Saturday, November 26, 2016

Jim did his first Turkey Trot, this Thursday. It was a 5 mile race in Cleveland with +13,000 runners! It was my second Turkey Trot. I had done this same race the year before. Last year, I had gone solo, however. I kept my head down & didn't talk to anyone. THIS year, I wasn't alone. I also "dressed up" as Pocahontas! While some found this concept objectionable, I did it anyways. Even Jim dressed up! I found him an Indian/costume shirt that he wore over his running clothes. It was a fun way to talk to people. 

While the pace was slower this year, I knew it was a "start" to a tradition. As Jim crunched his numbers & his placement in his age group, he said, "I could have done better." -This may eventually be true... but let's look at where he was just a few short weeks ago. He JUST hit the 5 mile mark... He has improved his pace for those 5 miles... Cleveland isn't FLAT like Toledo... We had to DODGE thousands of walkers, dogs, strollers, more walkers, people stopping for water, more walkers, etc. 

Jim is figuring out the logistics of racing. I had him run far left, not mid-pack. As we were moving through a water station, I motioned that we needed to move to the center of the road- especially if we were not participating--> move to the middle of the road or someone will STOP directly in front of you. Jim: "I'm learning." :)

I stopped for many pictures. I wanted Jim to remember this milestone/this race. He was so focused on the distance & inclines he didn't look around much. I felt like a new mom taking pictures of her baby's first steps. I took pictures of Jim crossing the bridge, in front of the Cleveland Indian's Progressive Field, in front of Cleveland landmarks & of course, at the finish with his medal. When we finished, I unwrapped my medal & put it around his neck. He got very emotional, "I couldn't have done it without you." Me: "Yes you could." Jim: "You're right but I wouldn't have..." Me: "THAT is true."











"SARAH!" Out of 13,000 runners, I heard my name & saw a familiar face! WHAT are the chances?! Apparently, better than I thought! I saw a fellow INKnBURN ambassador on the race course! :)

We saw many costumed runners. Most were not in costumes but a fair amount made for a festive time.

My prediction for Jim (& what I told him about his age group "placement"): I reminded him of the above facts. He agreed. "I KNOW, next year you are going to CRUSH this time. I have NO DOUBT. You just started this mileage & you have plans to greatly increase your mileage. Next year is going to be complete obliteration of this time... but you've set the bar & will easily exceed it, next year." --I TRULY believe this. Healthy enough for "participation" was the goal, this year. PR will be the easy goal, next year.  Fun run? It was supposed to be. It was... but it's also part of a bigger plan.

I was able to do another 5 miler, the next day, at a quicker pace. I am grateful for a sport to share or keep to myself. I look forward to Jim gaining confidence, speed, miles, race medals & his own stories... Eventually, we will have our own races. I expect this. For now, it's hard not to "have my own race." In the long run, I know I'm gaining a running partner & he'll speed up or figure out it's okay to run our own pace/race & meet at the finish line. For now, sharing the experience & watching his progress gives me confidence in the human body's abilities. I see my progress... watching his fast gains has been inspirational.

Bring on the 1/2 marathon. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment