Monday, October 24, 2016

This past week has been a whirlwind! Jim & I ran his first comeback 5K, in Cleveland, last weekend. It started at the Cleveland Browns stadium & we finished on the 50 yard line, inside the stadium. I cried at the start. He cried at the end... then I cried some more before we left. A year ago we were making regular trips to Cleveland Clinic. Only a few months ago has Jim felt well enough to eat, walk, exercise & start running. At WHATEVER the pace, the event was monumental! Jim was no longer in town as a sick patient. He was in town as an athlete. We are planning another visit to Cleveland & discussed the Turkey Trot 5 miler. Jim has it in his head as his next goal distance. I am excited at this. We will run it together at his pace. If he runs, I am content to be with him. I view it as an investment in a running partner. As his miles increase- & I am confident that they will- I know he will be encouraging me on my tough days. I remember when I was unable to do what he is doing... but... if you stick with it, it "happens." I explained to him on our last run that I was reviewing some old videos-- where he jumped from a one mile goal to a two mile goal. Jumping from two miles to three miles was a big deal. The three miles to four miles "jump" was a cushion of endurance to run his first 5K. As he struggled with a 4 mile run, yesterday, I reminded him of how far he's come. I reminded him of those videos-- what it took to get there; &, now, he wouldn't settle for a 2 mile run. "Well, now, you said it. I can't stop at 2... I have to run 4." :) We chuckled. I look forward to running trails with him. I can't imagine perfection being much better than that... unless you add the girls running with us!!! There is hope for that as we set the example.

We are also taking Lucy out on runs, again. The weather is cooler and she enjoys it immensely.

My Mercy Health Glass City Marathon ambassador promotional week is finished. I VERY MUCH enjoy rallying people to running & races! There is a satisfaction promoting a lifestyle that has changed your life- physically, emotionally & socially. To finally see "growth" in my own family, too? That is beyond the moon excitement for me. I can't stop viewing this as the "cash cow" of investments! My own hubby, an organically grown runner from the same Speer soil as myself- the same work schedule, close to home, carpooling to train & race... sharing the same excitement & stories... Woooohoooo!!!

We have another local 5K, coming up, this weekend. I will run at Jim's pace. We will start & finish, together... then hopefully cheer some new runner friends across the finish line. He gets to pass "on" the torch, too! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment