Tuesday, November 22, 2016

I was shooting for 15 miles, today. I was cutting it close- time wise- to get home & get Hannah to college. I got 13 miles then flew like a bat out of Hades to get home, cleaned up & back out the door. As I was running, I felt good. I ran all 13 & it crossed my mind that I never thought I'd be able to do this. My last 13 milers have been consistent running- no walking. This run was "effortless". Effortless?!?! When did I EVER think I would use that adjective to describe a 1/2 marathon!??! I have battled bizarre one of a kind injuries & poor biomechanics. I've gone from complete ignorance in every aspect of gear, weather, pace, shoes, tech, running groups, nutrition & local trails... to, now, having experience as well as a plethora of information at my disposal. --I easily could have hit my 15 miles if it wasn't for the time constraint. So, 15 is this week's run. I'm not concerned about pace, right now. Endurance will translate into speed, eventually. I'm remembering form as I go along. It feels good to be cognizant of how everything's working "together". It makes you appreciative. I ran solo, today; but my mind was with Jim & the girls, Lucy, our past year & how our girls are becoming good people. I had my Tailwind nutrition, Orange Mud hydraquiver, Garmin, Rock My Run music, lightweight Newton shoes, INKnBURN Steampunk tights, my mace & a straight "frame". I reflected on chiropractor appointments & my one appointment with my last physical therapist. Her counsel was kind & to the point. It was uncomfortable implementing her directions at the beginning. My whole body hurt as I was making it move extremely differently than what it has been accustomed to for the past 47 years! BUT-- what GAINS I've made since then! I reflected on how I "found" each piece of my puzzle-- through trial & error. Now, they are all part of my routine. I finally have a personal combination that works for me.

I reflect that I am seven years ahead of Jim on this running journey... & how I can help him avoid many of the pitfalls I've hit in the past. He is already a seasoned athlete & past where I was on his running timeline compared to my own. I look forward to sharing information I've acquired & look forward to having company!

On our last 5 miler, together, Jim stated he wanted to run the East coast, the West coast, Canada & down South. I told him about some of my bucket races. " 'My' bucket races"... they were foreign to my family. It feels really GREAT to share these goals with my new running friend. We may never get to these places but it's cool talking about it. 💕

Jim & I have always been a team; but, it has moved to a true friendship, now. We have time to reconnect while running in a way we never have in the past. It's an amazing feeling sharing your vulnerabilities & strengths with someone during a run.

I'm looking forward to sharing some running memories with him as well as goals. 💕

Seven years of trial & error... seven years without a regular running partner... "Girl! It's about time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment