Sunday, November 13, 2016

I almost skipped participating in Churchill's because of fear of performance. I knew if I didn't participate I'd REGRET it. Afterwards: I always feel like I should have pushed harder to get a better time. "I know I had a bit more." I did; but, today was about seeing where I was "at". Training needs to get a bit more serious, now; but, overall, I'm not feeling too bad for "a training run."


Race recap: I've been logging miles with Jim, then I've finished running while he rides his bike. My miles have been choppy & at multiple paces. I didn't know WHAT I could do, today. The unknown made me cruise "comfortably." I've never run this particular race. I've always volunteered. This past year had choppy training & many missed races; so I figured I'd see where I was "at"- by myself, while Jim was at work. I knew the course was "hilly". I played it conservatively "just in case". All in all, I felt ok. I felt some twinges here & there during the elapsed time but nothing that made me need to stop. 
Pre race: I saw fellow ambassadors, some moms from a mom's running group & Bonnie Kimpling-Kelly. We all had the same plan: no definite time goal, just finish & see.
At the start line, I got my jacket zipper stuck! I fumbled but it was high near my neck & I couldn't "see" it. I knew I was going to unzip as I warmed up. I NEEDED to get that zipper fixed before the start! I felt foolish but saw familiar faces that helped. Irina AshtonMartha ShearmanDawn Dupler Whitakerchuckled & helped a sad runner out. 
Runners on the course: I saw a woman running bare foot. I got passed by a woman pushing her baby in a jogging stroller. I played leap frog with a few ladies during the last 3 miles. I passed jogging stroller mom on the inclines & gave her a "Good job". I saw a woman vomiting at the top of a LONG hill. I sent help her way but couldn't watch as she "repeated." 
I saw supportive people on the course: some strangers, some familiar- Rachel Hsu Foreman & Traci Lynne Branch gave big smiles & a high-5 each. It made me SO happy & gave me a recharge right before those hills. I'm sure that's why I passed jogger mom. :)
At the end, I saw smiling  Joan MathewsAaron Z. HayduTom SilvaDianna AshtonJessica Knapp & others. I talked with some TRRC people to see if they could correct my name on the list. I was listed as "Sarah Speck". šŸ˜† I'm not THAT short! šŸ˜ -I saw a woman crying. I thought it was her first 1/2 & she was overcome with good feelings. "Mary" shared that her father-in-law had just died that morning. I hugged her. All of this past year's feelings of needing to cry came flooding back. I told her she needed to let her family know she finished & that this race was dedicated to him. We talked about his illness & him passing at home. I let her know "home" is a good place & the only place to be when you're sick. I explained Jim's desire to be home even though he shouldn't have been. Her father-in-law had people around him that cared & a quiet place he could rest- outside of the hospital. I also suggested we get some food. After 13 miles & crying, food would help! 
This race was a "check" of where I am. I wasn't first. I wasn't last. I'm happy I participated & eager to improve. It was a good event. I came solo; but I definitely wasn't alone.
(Photo by Dawn after she fixed my jacket zipper & POPPED me in the chin!) ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment