Saturday, November 19, 2016

It was a cold morning. While I KNEW it would be cold, & I KNEW it would make it easier for Lucy to run, it was still bone chilling for me. I knew I wouldn't mind once the race got started... once I started running & the woods would block some of the wind. UNTIL the start, I trotted with Lucy hoping she would "movement" before the race start-- nope. Why go "before" a race when you can go "during" the race --4 times? Yes, we pee'd & poo'ed along the course a few times. We helped a friend that fell & it took us a mile & 1/2 to settle down & get into a rhythm. There were a lot of things to smell & lots of new faces to see. It took 1/2 of the race to calm down & "just run". 


Today was a prediction run. You predicted how long it would take you to run a 5K & then, without a watch, the closest predicted times won a large frozen turkey. Lucy & I were WAY off, 1 1/2 minutes off. Some people were seconds off their time. I was okay with not winning a turkey. The charity was Planned Pethood & what we used each time we rescued an animal & had it neutered. Lucy is the prime example of rescue animal, adopt, spayed all through community programs. Today was also just a run through the park with her. She doesn't know of the larger picture. 

At the finish, we waited near a fire to stay warm. The hosting family had donuts for the humans & dog treats for the dogs. I gave Lucy a treat & she immediately pushed it out of her mouth. As a fellow Toledo Roadrunner finished, he came to say hello & pet Lucy. She is normally reclusive but darted over to see him. The weight of Lucy quickly lurches me to different directions. I DROPPED my donut, much to Lucy's delight, & she chomped it up (covered in rich fiber dried leaves, dirt & small twigs)! I blamed George & we all chuckled. I think they were "in" on it, together. ;) 


We didn't win a turkey but putting that medal around Lucy's neck was a big deal for me. She has logged many miles with me over the years. It isn't an expensive Olympian medal but it proves she is capable. We came in 8th overall. I think she was the second dog to cross the finish line. We didn't have our fastest pace; but, it was good to be out there with her. Considering we stopped a total of FIVE TIMES & slowed to sniff (but I told her no), we finished in 30:28. (??? I THINK that's what the man behind me called out ???) I predicted 29 minutes. We saw friends & Lucy got some socializing. 

A good time by all...


No comments:

Post a Comment