Thursday, November 3, 2016

It's been almost 2 weeks since I fell trail running. I can get into bed without screaming, now. Yes, I was literally crying out in pain when I had to lay down, move in bed or get up. Coughing or sneezing were horribly painful... & even breathing was uncomfortable.
This week I tried weight lifting, again. I knew I wouldn't be able to do any chest or back exercises. I figured I would work arms & legs. I started with light bicep work & was dumbfounded that my chest was hurting during these exercises-- even at the light weight! I didn't realize how much you used your core even for bicep and arm work. I tried tricep pulley work. The same strain was felt at the right side of my torso. I think I made matters worse because I am sore, again, just standing.

I told Jim & he joked, "Did you say 'boom' when you went boom?" I laughed then whined. "Too soon?" he asked. I explained that when I fell, I just turned to my side... "Then took a picture," Jim added, "Like Justin Beiber" (in the Ben Stiller movie before he dies). We started laughing. I know it looks vain on the surface; but, I document almost all of highs & lows of training. Falling is inevitable when trail running. I didn't think I hurt myself as much as I did. -I've had my fair share of scrapes but this one is the longest lasting trail injury I've sustained (bruised ribs). My "Lucy injury" (dislocated SI joint & hip out of socket) is an ongoing strengthening cause; but, that wasn't running related. It has affected my ability to run-- but it wasn't caused by Running.

For now, I can gingerly run & try to keep working secularly & around the house. I'm not swimming as the "pulling" motion is straining. I'm better this week & look forward to being stronger next week. As I'm less sore, I plan on popping the rib back into alignment at a chiropractor's visit. Until then I do what I can, as I can. I'm sticking to miles on pavement & gravel trails to avoid tree roots and another face plant. Missing my trail miles but enjoying Jim's company on the pavement for my longer runs.


No comments:

Post a Comment