Sunday, December 4, 2016

Not trying to be mean: I purposely didn't tell Jim about the Miracle on Main Street 5K race, today; so that I could RACE it. It was a "promo" race for the ambassadors to promote the Mercy Health Glass City Marathon. Jim asked if he could sign up, today, & I couldn't lie. If he participates, I stay with him. He tries so hard, right now, and I applaud his effort. He was having issues with his sugar, this evening. It was high then dropped to 52! YIKES!!! He fell asleep before we left but roused when I asked if he still wanted to come. He groggily got dressed. 

If we stayed together, it would be a lot slower pace, for me; but, I couldn't leave him. He gets emotional, easily when his sugar spikes and crashes. As a married couple, it's better to not insist on your own way, all of the time. A rift right now isn't worth it to me. So I decided to stay with him.

Before the race: We talked to supportive people, happy to see Jim. 

During: Jim set the pace & I just stayed with him. As we ran, I saw a woman that came ahead of us at the Race For Recovery 5K. We stayed behind her and the gap kept shrinking. I pointed her out and Jim steadily gained on her. He passed her! She didn't like it and passed us... then Jim picked up the pace and passed her, again. I was so proud! It was a personal victory. I didn't want her to do poorly, I just wanted Jim to do well & have a mini goal- someone to gain on and pass. It still wasn't a post sickness PR, but it is more experience under his belt.

After the finish line: The announcer announced "Jim Speer... Speer... Here come the SPEER's!" as we crossed the line, together. Jim spoke to others, happy to see him... then we saw a GIANT-human-Christmas-tree cross the finish line- fully lit with ornaments!!! Many dressed up in costume but this guy was over the top! :) -I couldn't help but laugh!

We didn't stay for awards... but we got to walk back to the van hand-in-hand without kids. We kept the peace. I think not racing was worth it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment