Tuesday, December 6, 2016

My swim teacher is awesome. 💕 I was extremely anxious about, today. I told her so... "Why?!" was her expected response. "Because I haven't been here... I haven't practiced... I don't know what I'm doing. I'm anxious. It was EVERYTHING for me to get here, today." She spoke in calm tones and  we started at the beginning-- with gliding. I did for a bit. I tried to follow directions but my "instinct to not drown" (aka not relaxing) kicked in. I started kicking & before I knew it, my arms started moving, too. She never yells or scolds. I'm already embarrassed; I don't need her to add to it. She never does. She corrects my form; I try, again; she critiques; &, I try again. As she was working on my arm form- full extensions, I realized something. I had good strength, upper body & I wasn't kicking for dear life- a break through! As she corrected one thing, I'd drop something else. It's really hard for me to try & remember so many things at once. -It reminds me of the time Jim tried to teach me how to play the drums. I always started with my left foot... then added the right hand... then the left hand... I couldn't go out of order... & I could only add one thing at a time. Swimming is no different-- except that I find it easier. I have to get my hands "ready" in front of me, thumbs tucked in, remembering to arch my back, high elbows, thumbs in the water first, FULL arm extensions then "bent elbow"... I try to remember it all.

At one point I finished crossing the pool. I came up expecting a critique. There was silence... she was looking for a word... it's usually, "Better, now try doing this..." Her one word this time was "awkward." I busted out laughing. "You have NO idea! Awkward is my MIDDLE NAME. You should see me at a party. No one makes it more awkward than ME." We both busted out laughing. I had reverted back to windmilling arms. Another adjustment & I was feeling comfortable. -I won't stop my lessons with her. She's a perfect fit to my needs. She is straight talking, factual but kind- just what I appreciate.

By the end we were talking triathlons, swim weekends & poor sportsmanship during a tri. I am confident that she can get me to open water. I have no time frame- that takes the pressure off. When I decided to do a long distance race, I "knew" when I was ready for participation-- not necessarily to place, just participate. This is my goal now. I am shooting for "participation readiness". The rest will come, eventually. I feel so much less fearful after time with her. She is on vacation, next week; but will come in for my lesson. THAT is a true teacher! I am appreciative- & while still with trepidation- am confident I will learn to be a strong swimmer. I've had four lessons & have gone from zero to movement with no assisting devices. I just need to work out the combination of positioning "everything" in unison.

Like a toddler, it's not pretty right, now. It's actually kind of funny... but I'll get there. 👍🏼


No comments:

Post a Comment