Sunday, December 14, 2014

 
My race, last night, went well. I averaged 8:45 minute miles. I wish I was faster... but I am happy that I am making progress. Two years ago, I did my first 10K at 9:15-9:30 minute miles.  I would train at 10:30 to 11:00 minute miles. -SO...in any given race, sub-10 minute miles were celebrated! Now I'm doing 9 minute & sub-9 minute miles. I've even hit sub-8 minute miles on shorter 5K races, but not without feeling nauseous & having to emergency stop & heave... -Comparing apples to apples, I see improvement. This was the first race I've done (comfortably-without heaving) with NO KT Tape at my knee, Achilles, heel, or foot... all effects from a displaced hip now in the proper place!!! I felt no discomfort or "twinges" to alarm me to slow down. Today, I feel tightness in my Achilles but it is only because I am tuned into previous injuries. I am PLEASED with the improvement in performance- FINALLY!

I've kept my mileage low after Detroit's marathon to facilitate healing... but I'm now running daily! This was UNHEARD of a few months ago! Yoga is working miracles! I am looking forward to making advancement in those classes as well and may include a 3rd day of weekly yoga to counteract tight muscles as my mileage increases.

I was SO nervous thinking about this race (ANY race) that I was making myself sick to my gut. I think the elusive "PR" is what keeps runners coming back to races despite physical or emotional distress. The elusive improvement in any run: time, comfort, feeling of strength, ease of a race, coming ahead of a fellow runner... can be motivation to do better "next time". -While I don't think of competing against any one person in my running club, I must admit there is satisfaction seeing ones that I would finish "behind" (OFTEN)... now finishing behind me. There are still plenty finishing WAY ahead of me... but my personal improvement is all I can focus on...

What do I hope to achieve? I just want to see what I am capable of. For years I was limited due to religious fears, social fears & physical impairment. Now, I realize I am not breaking any moral laws with running. I am easing my social awkwardness/fears as well as calming emotional insecurities with running. My physical imbalances are being corrected. I want to see what this old girl can do. My mom asked me at the beginning: "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?" My answer now is: "I just want to see if I can..."



No comments:

Post a Comment