Saturday, December 27, 2014

 
I have a race, tomorrow. I am becoming more comfortable at races. My runs are becoming stronger, therefore, I have more confidence in my abilities & am able to overcome my fears to come to races. I have to talk myself out of a "terror" at EVERY race, still. The fight or flight instinct is still incredibly strong in me. -Having a calmer mindset definitely helps in a better pace time. I often have to "trick" my mind to "just run-don't race". It takes the pressure off & I end up pushing it a bit more after the first warm up mile.
 
Tomorrow is different. Jim wants to run. We have always done our own thing at shortie races. I've done the longer races, solo. -I feel a need to run with him, now. He is putting in longer training runs & this will be his longest race, ever. He has done 5Ks in the past. Tomorrow is 4.8 miles & we are signed up for a 10K, together, this Spring. We HAVE DONE a 10K in training, together, but not many.  This is an epic event for him. None of his school buddies are running, still. He is +50. Taking up running at 50 is a bigger fish than taking up running at 15! I want to see his face & share the experience. I don't want to be a competitor, tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be on Team Speer. I know it sounds cheesy... My family has come to some of my races. At the beginning I went & competed solo then drove home. Those were lonely days. 
 
 
Eventually, (sometimes dragging them out of town) they came. Sometimes they were at the finish line. At some shorter races, I was able to get them to participate. (Color Runs & Disney races are quite the enticement!) My last crippling marathon affected Jim. He was there at the finish & when I saw him, I just cried. I hugged him & cried. I was doing everything I could to reach him at the finish line. Nothing else mattered but seeing him there. Then... there he was. -I was a salty, sweaty, cold, bawling mess... & he just hugged me.
 
 
I took some time to heal & Jim started running with me. Our miles were low & slow... but it was good to have company. Lucy has been a loyal companion but nothing beats a friend being with you. Jim's frequency increased. His pace has quickened & his mileage has increased. I may have a few years advancement on him, but I have no doubt that he will be beating me, soon. (I say that fondly & looking forward to the competition.) Until that day arrives... there is tomorrow. A milestone that BOTH of us will achieve, together. Tomorrow, we bloom, together...

No comments:

Post a Comment