Thursday, December 4, 2014


John Bingham was one of the runners I related to when I first took up the challenge of trying to run at the age of 40. I was not thin... not 14... not trained...

I bought my first running magazine & fell in love with the candor & humor tied in with the article "Penguin Chronicles" by John Bingham. I eventually read his book. He always finished his non-praising articles with: "Waddle on, Friends." -It struck me because I walk like a duck! His past was sedentary & artistic, like mine. (He was into music. I was into art.) He was non-athletic & trying to figure it out as he went. He tried running "late in life", like me... He wasn't fast, which most new runners can relate to... He had more in the "negative column" than I did. He was extremely overweight. I was chubby. He was a smoker. I wasn't. If he could beat the odds & run... maybe there was hope for me! I tried, quietly...

Soon after I subscribed to Runner's World magazine, John Bingham parted & started writing for Competitor Magazine. I didn't keep up with his articles & eventually my pace surpassed his... but I couldn't help but remember that his candor inspired me to try. It was that honesty that motivated me to share my bad experiences as well as my good experiences so candidly with others.

I am sad that he will not be writing the Penguin Chronicles, anymore, but I am happy that he is healthy & still being candid. If there is one thing that running has taught me: "you'll suck at the beginning... but if you stick with it, you'll get better... & maybe... even find a passion for it..."

John Bingham was a passionate runner. He inspired myself & others to get on the road. We couldn't be any more at a disadvantage than he was at his start! I am grateful that I discovered that all runners "start somewhere" & progress. His candor will be missed (& looked for in any upcoming books)!

His final article:
http://running.competitor.com/2014/12/inside-the-magazine/penguin-chronicles-goodbye-farewell-amen_119059

No comments:

Post a Comment