Tuesday, December 2, 2014


Let's talk...
 
I cannot believe it took me so long to try it! I grew up thinking it was all about religion, meditation, spiritual transcendence & chanting... -My muscles became so "tight" after long runs & marathons, however, I was at my wits end! I decided, recently, to try a "watered down" American version of Yoga. My plan was: I would sit at the back of the class & try to observe/participate. If I got the heebie-jeebies for ANY reason, I would leave. -Pleasantly grateful: it was not the dark or mysterious "religion" I had envisioned when I was younger. It was a group of mostly ladies with a very Caucasian instructor teaching stretches. I was a tight rubber band ready to snap at the beginning! Slowly, I stretched & felt a world of relief! Now, I am learning some position names as well as where to put my feet, hands & if I should bend my knees... -These are, ironically, all the stretches (and more) that I learned at physical therapy! I can balance pretty well for most of the poses. This comes in handy for trail running.

Today, I decided to try a different instructor. I had a difficult time understanding her. I was on my back & she was telling us to "fold your legs." I am usually NOT relaxed (yet) as I am intently watching WHAT I'm supposed to be doing. "Fold your legs" really meant bend your knees. At another point: I had a strap that I was supposed to be using around my foot to get a good stretch. I am flexible enough that I was getting a good stretch without the strap; but, I did as I was told. I was getting all TANGLED in the long thing, holding it with the wrong hand & TOTALLY not comfortable... then I realized she said right hand when she meant left. -NO WONDER I LOOK LIKE A TANGLED DORK!- I adjusted & thought: "This is sooo much better!" ;)

I decided I will go back to my blonde haired instructor who understands I want to stretch & strengthen more than relax. I have a mission to get healthier this year. Part of it will involve yoga!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment