Sunday, January 25, 2015

Today's run was just about getting out the door! Jim was heading out of town. The weather is cold, snowy & gusty. The drive to the metropark was dangerous... (I was sliding but my foot was to the floor on the brake... & I was driving QUITE slowly!) Once in the metropark, I had to gauge my pace. I was SO happy to be outside that I threw pace out  the window. I was taking pictures, waving to strangers... I even took a selfie with a couple of complete strangers!!! I was taking a photo of the trail when I saw something move in the distance- people; then I saw a camera flash. I took a picture of them, from afar ... They had taken a photo of me from afar... so I ran, caught up to them & took a picture of "us". They were hiking. ~I look like I have a long, horrible, lumpy neck... but I was turning my phone so I'd get the shy lady in the picture.
TOTALLY out of character for me to do this... but I'm changing. Running gives you a "confidence" that is hard to explain. When you do something you, personally, know you weren't able to, at one time... you have a strength that spills over to other aspects of life. It's a great feeling.

As for today, Dave's 10 Miler is going on, right now. I debated signing up for it. The weather... but more so my SI joint... is so unpredictable, I didn't sign up. Working physical labor on Saturdays & racing on Sundays makes for a less than optimal racing situation. I decided to wing it, today, on my own. ~Forget pace, distance... go until I was "uncomfortable". The weather isn't terrible if you dress well & can mentally bear it. I wore ski pants & triple cold weather gear on top. I stripped a layer to double layers after I warmed up after mile one. I looped my route past my van to toss it. I stuck to the paved but unplowed all purpose trails... then I got ambitious. I ventured to the Blue Trail but it was so uneven I chickened out & turned around. The last thing I needed was to fall or twist my ankle when Jim is out of town & the girls were home with no one able to rescue me... I DID go off the bike trail & onto the Brown loop. It was less dangerous but still extremely bumpy & treacherously ankle twisting at parts. I slowed my pace more as my SI joint was taking a beating, now. Ok-- now to just make it to the van. I wasn't cold despite the 29mph wind gusts. I was doubting my plans for a marathon, however... I pushed that idea out of my mind. As I finished mile 4, I figured I'd just head back to the van. The snow & terrain were giving me a work out. As I neared the main entrance I saw Mallard ducks & took pictures with my phone. It was SO COLD... my phone shut off- music, camera, display... And that's when I realized, I may not have raced 10, today... but I beat the weather & my own mindset. I outlasted my iPhone in the cold... I feel "good"... I will run again, tomorrow, I stepped out of my introverted "bubble"... & that is pretty awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment