Saturday, April 1, 2017

You guys-- I did it! After last week's DNF, I was skeptical but hopeful about today's mileage. No compression "during" my run (but I'm definitely wearing some, later), less Tailwind (every 3 miles, now), a small tangerine (pieces) after mile 15 & most importantly: a SLOW, conservative start! I was aiming for 10:30/min miles. I was avg 10-10:30 for the first 6 miles-- right on target. After mile 6, I looked down & saw my pace was 9:15! CRAP! I tried to slow down but could only bring it to a 9:30. I desperately tried to slow down, more, & took it to a 9:45. Slow... down... more-- this wasn't a race. It was a training run & I had a LOT of miles ahead of me! Eventually I stayed around 9:30-9:45 until the finish. I felt surprisingly "okay."

As a plus, because I missed last week's mileage, I thought I should do 19 miles, this week & 22 next week. Then I thought: "I'll shoot for 20." Then: "What's the difference between 20 & 22? Just do the 22..." I did & surprisingly felt "good." No lying, my feet were triple bandaged, hot spots had Band-AIDS "just in case"... I was on ibuprofen & caffeine... I had some light (in weight shoes) with the lugs right below my foot wound alleviating pressure & irritation from each impact. I had Injinji socks which alleviated irritation to my toenail. All in all, considering discomfort would eventually come (& it did), I tried to keep myself as comfortable as I could, for as long as I could, before discomfort was inevitable. I'm pleased with a strong finish-- not a fast finish-- but the wheels come off if I race. I kept my "wheels" easily "on" the whole time, today. 😁

I am no longer concerned about the distance for Canton. I am concerned about the elevation. Each mile, today, with the slightest of elevation, left me slower. I know what I will be working on the next few weeks--> elevation!

I'm uncertain what mileage to do next weekend, as the group peaked in mileage, today, before Glass City. My race is a week after Glass City. I think I'll aim for another 20 miler then start a taper.

Glass City, here we come! Canton, treat me kindly... please...

No comments:

Post a Comment