Monday, April 17, 2017

I ran our last track night with the Marathon in Training group before Glass City Marathon, Sunday. It seems surreal. I didn't do anything "socially" with anyone outside of the scheduled workouts, twice a week... Some people were able to run together more often. I fit in two group runs, regularly. It was nice chit chatting a bit before & after our work outs.

I still have a hard time with the whole, "Hey, you don't know me. What's your name?" I CAN approach strangers if I am representing a cause... but I 'can't' be that way all of the time.

Tonight, I felt a sadness knowing I may not have the courage to approach these strong runners, again, individually. I'll try... because while I wasn't always in the "thick" of the conversations (I can't concentrate to hold a conversation during a run)... it was nice to be part of the "group" & listen.

Tonight, I was the only female in my pace group. There were many women in attendance, tonight; but my pace group was 5 (pretty large) guys & 4'11" me. I ran at the back... & listened. Such is the life of a wallflower. It's comfortable.

Two young boys at the park pretended they wanted to race us. I said, "Come on!" They sprinted along for awhile then putzed out. I admit I felt good about that! We ran past a young girl & her grandfather (?). I imagined someday she would remember me going past & recall 'the girl strong enough to run with the boys.' Maybe she would run, someday, too. My mind drifted from the conversation between the lead runners, dodging goose poop, looking at the water, contemplating the new work schedule, hiring a new employee, thinking of the Boston marathon & how I would need to train.  I also was looking for the next cone when we would stop our "sprint"!

Before I knew it, we were done. I quietly left. It felt like early dismissal from school as this is taper week for the majority of the group. No one noticed. I trotted back to my van- a mile away...

I want to join the Fall training group. The summer training group is hopeful but not likely as we have 4-H obligations that require me leading up some groups & projects. Add a graduating senior with graduation festivities, yard work with no hired help for it... & summer will fly by on its own. Training will be a lower ebb until the end of July.

Now home, I pick up my grown up responsibilities & plan. This week will go quickly. Jim's first 1/2! Canton quickly following. I'm kind of on a downer after watching Boston. I didn't even run it & have the post-race blues! I need to focus on what's ahead-- & there's a lot still coming.

Life is good, right now. Running just adds to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment