Thursday, April 13, 2017

10 miler on the training schedule, today. I admit, I got butterflies looking at it. I have a lot of work on TH nights. Having a double digit run during the day, in addition to running kids back & forth between high school and college... capping it off with hours of work makes for a long day.

I popped a caffeine pill, put it in low gear & started a trot. I had a route in mind, music & a cool day. I started on the paved all purpose trail at Oak Openings & moved onto crushed gravel. Ahead of me, I saw Canada geese & chuckled as I saw them "running" the trail. Their swaying plump bodies did not look comfortable trying to stay ahead of me. I wondered if this is how others saw me at races, from behind- short, thick in the middle, ducky feet, swaying awkwardly & a slow pace... 😁

I reflected on how I would relate this experience on social media & WHY. -As a late bloomer, I feel strongly about "telling all." I was so convinced that I "couldn't"... that I didn't try. I know there are others like me. Moms raising kids- giving so much of themselves- they forget that they deserve respect, also- from others AND themselves.

I heard late bloomers often can't distinguish between discomfort & injury/pain. I admit this was the case with me. I had no knowledge of: gear, form, pace, fueling, race day strategy, positive talk, training... I want other women to know that it's ok to "not know" & learn as you go... or better yet... learn from other's mistakes (mine).

As I reflected on the geese ahead of me & my own biomechanics, I wanted to write about it. It addressed the "what if people laugh at me?" question as well as self-image. -I still don't "look like a runner." I'm finding that people still judge. While I don't like it, I do it, too. And when it boils down to its basic human elements, we'll keep doing it. Let people think what they want when they see my matriarchal hips & thick middle. I know how far I've come. I know my "waddle" was slower & always injured. I know a fast waddle comes before flight...

And- by the way- when I DO post my race times (you may notice I often don't post my training run times-- slow & steady), my intent is to show a person can blow their own expectations out of the water. My pace is NOT as fast as some... & it is WAY faster than others. Pace is relative to YOU. My intent is not bragging. My intent is to help women know not to "sell yourself short." I am STILL making advancements at 48 years old! I never thought I'd race... or race without vomiting... let alone come first in my age group... or miss Overall Female Masters by less than 40 seconds/mile. (Mind you, that's a lot faster than me... but not out of my grasp...) The change is a process physically; but, I'm finding it's a mental transformation as well.

This Momma Goose still has some feathers to ruffle... & I'll share the stories as I go.

I can (pretty confidently) say that most reading this post aren't elite runners. I want you to know it's ok. It's okay to "suck" at the beginning. We all do...

I promise: "it" can happen. Moms are a tenacious bunch. Women are an unyielding strength. Use a bit of that for yourself... & amaze yourself. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment