Monday, August 22, 2016

The "anniversary" of Jim getting sick is coming up, next month. We've shared this & people have told us, "Wow-- that's one you may want to skip..." On the contrary, I understand, now, why cancer survivors have their anniversaries. It's like a mom talking about birth. The pain makes you change. You look at death & trauma with a sense of defiance & victory. I am grateful for EVERYTHING, now! I hug my husband & girls, DAILY! I hug both girls at the same time & they give each other a high-5. I need them to be comfortable in our family. I want them to get strength from each other. We used to all live in the same house but did our own thing. Now I tell Jim, "I love you, today"-- every day. There was a time growing up that I never heard those words, let alone say those words. It made you "vulnerable." Now, I realize it is empowering to our girls' happiness, confidence, sense of well being. If they are loved at home, they don't need to look elsewhere-- at least until they're older.

We will remember our war. We will remember our long battle. We didn't leave a man behind & we are strengthened by a common experience. Ironically, it took death to make us a healthier family in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment