Saturday, August 27, 2016

I've always enjoyed set design so I used to volunteer decorating the girls' elementary school for the book fair & right to read week-- as well as weddings (!!!) & parties. Now, I'm decorating for our 4-H group. I've done tshirt designs, banner layouts, parade floats & fair booths. This year's fair booth theme is "4-H Grows..." I can guess that everyone will have some kind of plant theme tied to qualities or project books. --I don't like typical. I was racking my brain: "What 'grows' that will get kids excited, make parents smile, is bright, 4-H themed, not typical...?" Plants, kids, ideas, puzzles... then the stretch of the definition--> grow... evolve... Pokemon Go!

Say what you will. It should be totally different than anyone else's booth. I know nothing about Pokemon GO, except that it is THE thing, right now. I'm stretching all the definitions of 4-H (Head, Heart, Health, Hands) by assigning characters from the game to each quality (or H). "Gotta' Catch Them All" (qualities), a "4-H GROWs" title, along with a custom designed Pokeball & TEAM design will all be on display.

I'm driving my girls crazy as I ask non gamer questions-- but we're all laughing. It's cool collaborating with your kids, then getting the 4-H group on board. All I had to do was mention Pokemon GO, Friday, at the club meeting. We got cheers & chatter from the little kids, smiles & laughter from the parents.

We crystallized a very foggy idea with great collaboration. The group will now pick up a big part of putting our materials together. I used to do this solo; but, it's been such a great experience & a lighter load when we all share the project. Everyone feels good when they know they helped put up the booth (or float).

I'm actually looking forward to these group projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment