Wednesday, August 24, 2016

I absolutely LOVE getting private messages from people just starting to run! I've had people tell me I share "too much." Honestly, I'm just trying to motivate others showing we all struggle & usually there is no such thing as a perfect workout. They are all blocks in the foundation that make your lungs & heart more efficient. Running causes your body to make more capillaries to muscles & all of this takes time & conditioning.

As I was finishing up some office work between school drop offs & a run, I get this message: " Does running two half miles within ## minutes count as a mile? If so, I did it! Probably first time ever..." This text came from a new runner-mom. She's 47 & just started running from her house to her barn... then she would do the distance twice... A month ago she started a Couch to 5K plan! My response? "Ack!!! Awesome!!! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ" This is a mom that I started talking more to-- probably the past year. She told me how she was afraid to try running because she thought it would hurt. She got a Couch to 5K app & I had a conversation with her about my many learning curves-- including pace. I told her about my previous understanding that running meant sprinting... & that I couldn't keep up that pace for long. A mom took me out & literally told me: "Slower... Slower... Slower..." every time I told her I wanted to walk. As I thought I was creeping from the pace I had before, I told her this was "cheating." She asked: "Are you still moving? Are you going faster than walking? Then it isn't cheating." --I share this story with anyone that will listen. It is the number one rule that will lengthen your distance.

YOU have direct control over the music & VOLUME in which you listen to it. Consider your running pace your volume. There are many settings on that dial. You can dial up or down as you need to.

I share Jim's recovery. I share my faux pas-- & there are many. New cooks, new drivers, new runners-- sometimes the "basics" just need to be bluntly stated. When it "comes together" & someone tells you-- it's pretty awesome to see!


No comments:

Post a Comment