Tuesday, April 21, 2015

 
This is Desi Davila Linden at the 2015 Boston Marathon. Why am I writing about her?

She was a bit of a dark horse for awhile. At the London Olympics, she participated injured. I read many "telling" her to give up her spot on the Olympic Team that year. She earned the experience... & judging by her performance, Monday, at the Boston Marathon, she has gained a lot of experience!

Injury plagues every runner at one point. It is heartbreaking but inevitable. We cry. We pout. We yell... but we heal & regroup.

2015 Boston Marathon: Shalane Flanagan was the showboat- Boston's sweetheart & hometown hero. At the end of the race, the channel I was watching, aired an interview with Shalane, NOT with Desi-- but Desi beat Shalane! --I am not lightly dismissing anything these elites can do; &, I do not downplay Shalane's performance... However, I connected with Desi. Perhaps it's her olive skin or short stature that connects with my Hispanic background- yeah probably.

In a culture that judges on first impressions & outward appearances, I was upset that Shalane got all of the attention. I did believe the hype & expected Shalane to win overall female, this year. As I watched Desi- this small woman from Detroit (LOCAL)- take the lead for the majority of the race, I was ecstatic! Here was my hero! She lead the pack & never let them lose her. She ran strong & gave the elites a race!

I can't imagine what she felt coming in 4th place when she lead for so long & came in seconds behind the leader.

Such is the love-hate of racing. Knowing you did, or didn't do, your best within the parameters of the day. Driving yourself crazy considering what you could have done differently-- better... Believing in yourself & your training while considering the outcome & questioning everything you're doing... -Been there -Done that...

As, I contemplate my race calendar. I believe in the dark horse. I don't want to be the show boat. I couldn't. I want to be a force & I would love to be an elite... but I'll settle for a strong-injury-free-mid-packer, for now.

Desi is a person to be watched & respected. She's a small package with strong desire that isn't intimidated by the game. Looking forward to following her tiny footsteps...

No comments:

Post a Comment