Saturday, April 18, 2015

Sadly-- I am off running for 6 weeks, now.

I tried running a week after I broke my foot. I had heard of die-hards running through broken toes, etc. How much could it hurt?

I found out. Broken toe or broken metatarsals... the healing time would be the same. I decided to bail out of the Martian Festival of races & Glass City 1/2. This decision was not made lightly; but, now that it's made, I feel devastated & relieved at the same time. I have to NOT think about it because I start to cry...

As I scan Facebook, I see others in the hospital, facing treatments & procedures, dealing with stress of life & family- physical & emotional... & I realize my little bones have a healing "deadline". I KNOW my little trauma will be finished, soon... & I feel foolish for even crying.

THEN I see prep for Boston. I read preparations & results of local friends... & my heart LONGS to be at the start line, too.

It's all self reflection. I think of the person that thought she "couldn't" run. I was TOLD I couldn't & shouldn't-- I believed it. Then there was the struggle to try- emotionally & physically.

I came so far... but swore I would never race. "Why PAY for something I could do for free?" I learned to hate & LOVE the speed of the race! I saw friendship & encouragement... which didn't make sense to me. Why would someone CHEER for you if they wanted to PASS you? -I learned about PR- PERSONAL records.

In the past, I was the one that only wore BLACK running clothes... & baggy men's running clothes... then I discovered running skirts, color & INKnBURN. It was as if I could wear on the outside what mood I was feeling on the inside!

I started writing down my improvements & encouraging others to change, too. I was asked to write about it & promote our local Glass City Marathon. I was SO HONORED. For the first time, I felt confident to call myself a runner. My times were improving. I felt confident. I was learning to embrace the race & I was TALKING to people about running. It was all so perfect...

A small crack & I'm on the sidelines... *BOO!*

Sooo... I signed up to volunteer on race day. I will be blasting music, directing traffic, high 5-ing, cheering & being genuinely happy for everyone I can make smile...

Life goes on. I'm looking forward to race day...

No comments:

Post a Comment