Monday, April 6, 2015

The Glass City Marathon is approaching quickly! I questioned what could be written about... encouraged... planned... this close to race day. Nutrition? Gear reviews? Eateries? Logistics? --While all of those topics are extremely important, they've been discussed by many people with varying experience. Ultimately, these are personal choices.

What makes a race an EVENT? How can a person support a race & the participants in the race & have fun at the same time?

Volunteering is vital for any race to run smoothly. It is the life blood of the running community. For there to BE a race, there are months of preparation & many hands that make the load light.

I introduce: THE CHEER (SPIRIT) STATION! I cannot tell you how important these people are! These are small groups of people planted along a route that may or may not be connected to a water/aid station.

I, personally, get so anxious & focused on performance that I forget to enjoy the race experience. Cheer stations are a welcome surprise, smile & distraction along the route. I noticed the importance of cheer stations when I literally stopped, laughed & high-5'ed a college kid dressed up as a Telletubby. In the past, I have seen people dressed as Disco Hippies, Spartans, Homer Simpson, morph suited groups of (???), kilted dancers, cheer leaders, pep bands and many unique characters. I have seen musicians playing for strangers, cheering spectators encouraging with vocal cheers & signs. I have been offered oranges, candy & beverages by supportive neighbors as we ran through their neighborhoods.

What do you need for your own cheer station? Any or all of the following:
  • A loud voice to cheer for ALL of the racers- Reminders that someone is: "Looking good!" "You've got this!" "Great job!" are always accepted with a smile.
  • Hands to clap, wave or high-5
  • A musical instrument
  • A banner or sign
  • Sidewalk chalk for notes on the road
  • A cow bell, whistle or drum
  • Thunder sticks
  • COSTUMES for the brave hearted
  • Music playlist blaringly reminding me that I have the "EYE OF THE TIGER!"
I have seen elaborate, costumed spirit stations. -I have seen groups of kids cheering or playing music. I have appreciated every person holding a sign: "STRANGER, I am so proud of you!" (I admit, that one brought me to tears.) I love the signs that refer to super powers, or silly memes.
Pictures of our Churchill's 1/2 marathon water station & spirit station
 
 


While every race is a test of the human limits, it also attests to the supportive nature of the community.

I wish you a strong performance, a good race photo, the wind at your back & cheers along your route, this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment