Monday, March 23, 2015


There was a time: that I couldn't run in front of people.
There was a time: I couldn't run two days in a row.
There was a time: I couldn't bring myself to race or be around big groups of people at races. 
TIMES HAVE CHANGED! 
 
I HAVE been running in front of other people. I HAVE been racing with people... often... this year. The million dollar question: Could I race twice in one weekend?
This past weekend was an experiment. I signed up for a 15K, locally on Saturday & a 7K on Sunday. Would I "run"... or "race"?
My daughters wanted to go to a local Comic Con. That would mean more hours on my feet, Saturday before Sunday's race. Could I DO all of that?
 
I am happy to say "YES!" This past weekend was possible because I wasn't working secularly. I had "rested up" during the week (because I had flu). The new chiropractor is keeping me aligned. And everything in the solar system lined up well with my biochemistry, I guess.
 
THE MENTAL GAME
I also knew being sick this week gave me "permission" to "just do my best". There was no pressure of performance. I rated my past races & guessed what would happen... & it did! I actually PR'ed at both races from the year before... I also realized what a friend told me years ago. "This isn't 'your' race."
 
While all these events ARE races... they are simply training for "the" race in October- a full marathon. I suddenly realized races are my speed work & training.
 
 
This is not a big revelation to some. After all, a fellow runner told me: "It's not 'your' race."
I've tried to... & written about... my head games... trying to convince myself "It's just a training run. It's just a training run."
 
But this weekend- I believed it. I would run harder than training runs but not kill myself.
My effort would not be "GREEN"...
My effort would be "yellow" & "orange"...
Finish line effort would be an attempt at a "kick" in the "red" zone...
 
The Pi race, two weeks ago, was my first real race of the season. I had done races over the winter but with all the snow & thought of gear, temperature, weather, etc... They were really just for mileage.
 
Pi was windy & cold but no ice or snow on the ground. It was my anxiety breaker.
 
I would LIKE to race the Golden Bear 10K, next weekend; but I don't think that will happen. I promised the girls I would take them to the zoo & the new aquarium exhibit opening up.

Run From Death 5K is Sunday; but, I'll be there with the family. I probably won't be able to race...
 
This weekend was an eye-opening experience to upcoming potential. I always wanted to be faster but it didn't seem genetically possible. Now I realize it is BIOMECHANICALLY possible... & I've got a feeling that this will be the year for my ultra marathon.
 
Detroit Marathon in the Fall? Yes... but why stop there? I have 1/2 marathons lined up all year... 
 
This is the year of the ULTRA! The first one will be "bad"... but I'm looking forward to it!
Black Swamp Festival of Races 15K & Wearin' of the Green 7K this past weekend...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment