Tuesday, October 16, 2018


(Yes, I ended up buying the photo.) 

*TMI* 2012- my first marathon: as I saw the finish line, my VERY first thought was of my mother’s SEETHING, harsh scold when I told her I was training, “Why are you doing this?!” She didn’t think I could or should. -She didn’t want me getting a big head. My husband didn’t think I could. Here I was finishing what I also questioned my ability to accomplish. I was overwhelmed & the finish line/medal lady hugged me. “I did it...” I told her between sobs. “Yes, you did!” then she hugged me, again. I thought of my van being broken into, two weeks prior, my purse being stolen and the rush to get my passport reissued so I could participate in this event. I imagined this stranger consoling me was my mom- just once saying she was proud. I cried more even considering that. 

Now, I have Jim’s unwavering support & encouragement. My daughters & my sister are proud. My friends are encouraging. I look for reminders to "undo" my deeply entrenched mind games, to build myself up. I find them in the most unlikely of places: Pinterest... an ad in my email... 




That’s JUST what I needed to see before Detroit this weekend... 

No comments:

Post a Comment