Tuesday, October 9, 2018

If you are a Toledo Roadrunner, you saw this in the last newsletter. If you are not a TRRC member, I wanted to share.

I have said- repeatedly- running doesn't come naturally to me. For some people, "natural" doesn't just mean physical. There are many reasons that prevent people from trying anything new. Here's mine:


You Can’t -By Sarah Speer 

No two words can deflate an ego, crush a dream OR inspire a rebellion. When I was growing up, I wasn’t allowed to participate in numerous social activities that many of my peers did. I was upset, peered at their world; but, I accepted it as “the way it was.” As I have gotten older, I struggle with the battle of “can’t.” Honestly, as an adult, I “CAN.” I can socialize. I know I can do whatever I want. The struggle comes with being conditioned since youth with the mindset that you are incapable or unworthy. This carries over to physical activities as well. Growing up- culturally, socially, religiously, racially: girls were to work, have kids, raise their babies, stick with the religion they were born into- the end. Currently, running, disassociated from my previously religious-missionary life style is almost an act of rebellion. Is it, really? Is running really such a rebellious thing? Running alters my mood. It has raised my health above what my family has ever experienced. Running through the woods has calmed my heart and introduced me to a socially accepting group of people- encouraging and supportive. Running has introduced me to a growth mindset. I really sucked at this when I started running at 40. Sticking with it has naturally led to improvement. That understanding has spilled over into other aspects of life. “What else can I try? I’m going to suck at the beginning; but, I’ll get better. Let’s try learning the cello! Let me try metal smithing. Let me learn how to weld.” Don’t underestimate the difficulty this initial mindset is to overcome. When you’ve been trained since infancy that an action or a life style is “wrong,” unattainable or somehow inappropriate, you truly believe it- every day. You may even be almost 50, still doubting your abilities, thinking you “can’t” or “shouldn’t.” Is running really the worst thing you could be doing with your life? If running is an act of rebellion then count me a safe rebel. Many of us still struggle with “can’t” for various reasons. Maybe you physically can’t- yet. I hope the rebel in you doesn’t settle for “can’t.” I hope the rebel in you dusts themselves off and tries, again. I hope the rebel in you encourages me at my next race. I rebelliously vow that I will support you at your next race. I know the rebel in me is fighting against “can’t;” because, I know we can, eventually, whatever the current limitation is.

No comments:

Post a Comment