Friday, October 19, 2018


I have been point blank honest about everything connected to this running “stuff.” πŸ˜ I share TMI because I TRULY believed you grew up “just knowing” you were inherently good at something. I had a “fixed” mentality believing you had a “fixed talent trajectory.” As I have tried this running gig, I have come to realize a “growth” mindset. It seems foolish, now, to believe the fixed mindset mentality. It is equivalent to “fate.” A person having no ability to change anything, believing events, or the direction of their life, is beyond their control, doesn’t sit well with me. Call me a control freak. I call myself self reliant. πŸ˜

So, I “share.” I share the mundane, not just the perfect training run. I share the small moments: a photo of a spiderweb, a flower, a turtle on the trail... I share the crash and burns: poor race performances or a literal face plant on the trail. I share what works: Training with a group (despite personal anxiety). I share how training with a group “works”: schedule, pace groups, encouragement and another “personal growth.” I share nutrition and gear reviews. I share to inform; so, others can see an example- good or bad. We can learn from what we see around us. I have been very candid about my “process.” 

A person doesn’t have to read any of this. As a matter of fact, many don’t. That’s okay. I just want others, like me at the start, who think they “couldn’t possibly run a marathon” to see the process- the sweaty, non glamorous, glorious process. When this all “clicks” for me, I hope there is a formula, or a “history”, that others can look to and not be afraid to try something new. 

This running lifestyle is empowering. When you struggle and stand on top of an obstacle, you can’t help but banshee cry from the top of that mountain! 

Detroit is this weekend. I have NO idea what to expect. Training was going fantastically until last week. Fortunately, most of my training was done. This week I have been on complete “rest.” My calf IS feeling better; but, it is not completely 100%. I have never started a marathon at 100%; so, I shouldn’t stress too much- however- I had high hopes for this race. Sunday, come what may, I am as ready as I will ever be. I’ll be preventatively taped and prepared with my own water and nutrition. I will start slowly and try to keep myself reigned in for the long haul. The goal is: all slow miles with no walking. I am optimistic to give that banshee cry at the finish line; but, I’ll probably be bawling like a baby if all goes well... or not... 

Detroit, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment