Friday, September 30, 2016

I had a great race, last weekend. Komen for the Cure in downtown Toledo is always a well supported event. This year, I had Jim, my sister & a 4-H mom/breast cancer survivor with me. It makes a world of difference having people with you at an event! I wanted to do well for "them" as well as for me. My pace was ok- not my best time at a race but still "good". I haven't raced in so long that I got a bit "heave-ish" after a couple of small inclines. I train at an easy pace. I do no speed work: track work, fartleks or strides. I try to add some inclines where I can but it's hard to find good elevation changes in Pancake, Ohio. 😜 I would have liked low 8 min/miles; I got 8:23-ish including the pausing for heaves (twice). Today, I saw my race time from 2 years prior. (I didn't do it, last year, because Jim was in a coma.) My time was just shy of 9 minute miles. While my progress is slower than some, numbers don't lie. I AM making my own progress.

As Jim regains strength, we are planning his first 5K!!! It's a race in Cleveland. It also is in connection with the Cleveland Browns. We finish in the stadium. He is SO excited! I am excited FOR him! This year has been surreal. We have both significantly changed. It is the first time I am completely letting my guard down. I'm enjoying getting a "second chance" with him. 💕

As he progresses, I'm adding races, again. I'm also adding swimming lessons, again! Life is about enjoying the ride. I was so serious, before all of this. I'm still serious but I'm doing stuff I like, now. That's pretty great.

The girls are doing well in high school & college. Life is good, right now, so I'd like to ride that wave as long as we can...

No comments:

Post a Comment