Sunday, October 2, 2016

Today was a race for Sierrah Joughin. This race hit home on too many levels. I had to support it & be part of it. She was a local, young woman riding her bike on a country road... almost home... when she was purposely hit by a man on a motorcycle & knocked off of her bicycle. She was murdered & buried in a shallow grave in a cornfield. Her bike & other items were found where she was hit. There were signs of a struggle. I can't play the last few moments of her life in my mind without getting very upset. I imagine her fear & asking for help or mercy-- & I get emotional.  I wish I could have helped...
As a woman who runs solo, as a person who grew up in the country, as a neighbor, as a parent, as a fellow UT student... I HAD to be part of this. Jim came with me & we brought Lucy. The course was flat but extremely congested. I felt surprisingly good & ran by comfort level. I had a personally good race; but, as any runner knows, your best becomes a reason to work harder. I wasn't first, by any means; but my pace was an 8:06 average. A few years ago, I would have been super happy with this. Now, I'm looking to break 8 minute miles for a 5K. It's not out of reach. Am I happy with my performance, today? Yes and no... Without confirming all the official records, I believe this race may be equivalent to other current PR's. But records are meant to be broken... I'm ready to focus on speed now that cool weather is here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment