Tuesday, March 8, 2016

My husband has been sick. I've been very candid about that...

Jim used to weigh between 205-210 & was in the 400 club. Meaning: he could bench press over 400 pounds multiple times. Seeing him get sick in September was hard. It was surreal-- but seeing him lose so much weight & seeing him so emaciated, now, has been scary. His weight rose when his abdomen filled with fluid. His weight rose to 224. Now, it has dropped from a past weight of 210 pounds to 129 pounds. I share this information, now; because, he is finally starting to GAIN weight. It's only a few pounds more, but he's not losing, anymore! He says it is WORK for him to eat. I can't comprehend... It's not work for ME to eat. ;) It is difficult sometimes to be patient & stop what I'm doing to make what he is in the mood to eat... but, the starving man receives anything he asks for.

Today was a good day. Jim is still frail & he has aged before my eyes... but, he is becoming more active & accompanying me more as I run errands. He rode with me to the park & napped in the van as I ran. I thought we would walk a bit, together after my workout but the morning routine was tiring enough. He dresses himself, now. His equilibrium was terrible & he couldn't dress himself a month ago. It is "the little things" of independence that we take for granted that I am proud to see him do, solo.

Today, his humor & teasing were so welcome. I know he still feels crappy... but to see him smile & joke around, even for a few moments, tells me that the crappy, long moments are breaking up to shorter amounts of time, during the day. I sat on the couch before I left for work & he rubbed my feet. He talked about replacing my Garmin watch. (It really only needs a new battery.) We talked about his health, my training, our kids, their education... We just "talked" as he rubbed my feet. I sense a closeness returning that only "slowing down" can bring.

Jim gets so frustrated at his slow progress... but I remind him that he will be the ultimate "come back" story. I tell him that when others get bleak about their health or scared, he will be able to console them & truly empathize with them. He will be able to be an example that others will be able to draw strength from...

I do NOT want anyone to go through this as a family... but it has been a truly humbling experience for all of us. I need to slow down & listen to Jim's needs. I need to stay positive for him... because if the roles were reversed, I'm sure I would be wallowing in self-pity. Jim needs to see how far he's come & also stay positive. I shared some photos I took of him in the hospital. He gasped & was quiet. It was sobering. He remembers none of it.

We look forward to the next few weeks & the next few pounds. I suspect his spirits will continue to rise as his strength returns. Until then, this come-back story is still being written & is "to be continued..."

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm not trying to bum anyone out. I'm trying to show that things can get pretty horrible... then SLOW progress is possible. As long as we're still breathing, we keep trying.

      Delete