Sunday, March 13, 2016

I got cocky this week. It was supposed to be a cut-back week. There was a 13 miler on the schedule... I felt good, last week for a 20 miler; so, I was shooting for 21, Friday. I ended up taking Jim shopping, then for a walk, then making him something to eat. I knew I wouldn't have time for a run before I had to pick Jillian up from school, early. I was miffed but I decided I'd run Saturday.

My day was choppy. I dropped Hannah off at high school to take a placement test so she can apply and attend classes at the University of Toledo, this Fall. I was dressed & prepared to do miles down the bike trail while I waited for her. I got +6. I took her home then went to Oak Openings to finish my miles. I struggled a bit with some new gear. I didn't put enough Tailwind in the new bottles of my Orange Mud quiver. I also wore my hair down & was constantly pulling it free from the holsters. I ended up NOT taking in enough nutrition & calories & bonked at mile 18. I walked & ended up finishing 21. Honestly, I THINK I did 21. My Garmin needs a new battery & died. I guesstimated the mileage according to the mile markers. Even if I didn't do "precisely" 21, I definitely got more than 20. I reassessed what I needed to "re-do", next time. It's all good. I feel confident with the game plan.




Today, I did a 7K. I wasn't expecting too much after my long run. After yesterday's miles, I also had to go to work... went with Jim for a short walk, then had dinner. I stretched & used our TEMS unit to relax-- I needed it! I finally "popped" at my sacrum & at my left ankle. The relief was fabulous. It enabled me to do 8:30 - 8:45/min miles during the Wearin' of the Green 7K. I wasn't really "pushing" the pace but I certainly wasn't relaxing, either. I started at a 7:45 min mile. I didn't think I'd be able to hold that pace so I gradually backed off to a comfortable 8:30. There were a few times that the wind was really throwing off that pace. I was still pleased that I finished as well as I did. A PR every year, there. It's worth the drive. The mood is festive & a "green light" to dress in costume & have fun. Jim & my sister came, too! I invite my sister to all my fun runs. If she can come or not come, it's fine. I just want her to know she's invited. I invited Jim to come, yesterday, too; but, he said he couldn't. I was surprised & happy at the change of plans in the morning!!! He is still shy about others seeing him; so, I parked near the start/finish in the parking lot. Jim could people watch & watch all the runners start & finish from a sheltered area. My sister braved the weather & stood at the start & was there at the finish. We grabbed some cookies & left after awards. I couldn't leave Jim outside in the van for too much longer. (I did bring pillows & stuff to keep him comfortable.) I remember when I started to run & close family questioned my motives, abilities & sanity. I am feeling "over the moon" that my family would come & support me- willingly- now!  I cannot express how special it made me feel. I really wanted to do well for them-- so I played it a bit on the conservative side. "Yellow"  on the Jenny Hadfield exertion scale- not the orange or red "zone". The longer I run, the faster the PR will be there, every year. *YAY* Then my sister told me she is planning on coming to my marathon in April! I almost cried! I HOPE she understands the love I have for her...

So training is going better than expected. *trying not to jinx it* I WILL cut back mileage, next week. Monday: I have a Run for Pi race. Saturday: I have the Black Swamp Festival of Races in the morning. I'm doing the 25K. In the afternoon, I'm doing a promo for the Glass City Marathon: a 5K. I'm supposed to wear my GCM Ambassador shirt during the race. I'll do an 8 miler mid-week & other work out "stuff".

Amidst all of this, life goes on. Warm weather is coming. Yard work is coming... I'm so far behind on many projects but I'm excited about it all, too. Jim is gaining weight. *Sadly, so am I!* As long as Jim is making progress, it's hard to be anything but optimistic about the future.

Looking forward to many great miles & days, ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment