Sunday, June 7, 2015

Last night I was going through race flyers. This was my Facebook post: "As I gather my many invitations to race, I, again, wonder why I do this. I get up early & go by myself. I sometimes, awkwardly talk to people I know through Facebook; but, I don't usually do anything with anyone, afterwards. There is a bit of emptiness when you do this, solo... I remember: races are my speed work. Races are my chance to focus on mileage, equipment, nutrition, pacing, mental restraining of my nerves... without stopping (for a picture or Lucy pee-peeing) as I would at Oak Openings. -This year, I'm signing up for summer races. This is new for me. While I have logged miles through the summer, I never sign up for races in the heat. That changes this year. Tomorrow, I have a 5K. In July I have a 1/2 marathon-- a 1/2 marathon in the heat-- me! If my goal is ultra racing (often in hot & hilly places), then "suck it up, Buttercup" needs to be the attitude. I contemplate tomorrow with a banged up ankle from my 4-H adventure, today. I am TRULY the clutziest person God ever created. If I make it through this summer's race schedule to Fall, it will be a miracle."

I ended up putting a Band-Aid over my bruised & cut ankle. What happened? As we dismantled our "survival shelter",  yesterday, in the woods, I was carrying two large limbs. I was stepping over a log & swung the large limb, pinching my foot between the limb & log. The shock knocked the wind out of me. I just froze, doubled over, limb in each hand, eyes welling up with tears... Of course, the cut (& bruise) was RIGHT where my sock & shoe would rub. I pulled my sock down to show some ladies, today after the race, only to notice it had started bleeding, again. (I refrained from pulling off the Band-Aid...)

Today, before my race, my post to Facebook was: "The usual pre-race jitters. I see some familiar Toledo Roadrunner friendly faces but nothing can calm me down but myself. 5 minutes 'til start... Ugh!"

Today, after my race: "Looks like I got 2nd in my age group. That should be good enough for a set of tickets for a Toledo Symphony concert. -Fingers crossed!"

It was warm. Not my fastest pace but I slowed so I didn't have to heave. This is my second race "back" after hurting my foot. --I push my pace at races more than training runs. I really don't know how to do speed work other than racing... I don't honestly know how fast I could run a mile, only. I've never tried. I TRY to push a pace I can hold for 3 miles during a 5K. For me: pace always depends on many factors.

 
 My age group award: a two ticket voucher for the Toledo Symphony. Next date night for me & Hubby is "on  me"!
 
 
I second guess myself-- always. I know I'm not the fastest runner in the field but I think of how far I've come. There was a time that doing sub 9 minute miles was unheard of for me! I'm logging
7 1/2 (not often but my new goal) to 8 1/2 minute miles, regularly, now, for 5K's. (9 minute miles if I heave.) Longer races are +9 minute miles. NOT TO MENTION: My clothing is now "extravagant!" Never in a billion years did I think I would EVER, EVER wear a skull garment! And now, I own a few! It's a bit of a rebellious, tough chick mentality when I need it. Little does anyone know I'm a mental wreck & softie inside. I'm a work in progress...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment