Sunday, December 10, 2017

I've been doing solo miles a lot this training cycle. It's just the way the schedule landed this time. After the Churchill's 1/2 marathon, I did a 5K with Jim; but, most miles since then, have been in solitude. For the most part, I don't mind; but, it gets kind of lonely when I am by myself all of the time. -My old training group still stays in touch via group messaging. There are regular invitations for weekend group runs; but, it would mean getting up early, driving farther than my beloved Oak Openings & being "social." I've said 'no' on numerous occasions. Today, though, three other women from my group talked about coming. They are strong & positive. I "got over myself" & my social nerves. I hauled myself over there. One runner changed her mind for a total of 5 Yetis meeting, this morning. Everyone was cold but smiling. We chatted the ENTIRE time about cold gear necessities, races, Disney races, our MIT schedule & upcoming coaches. 7 miles passed quickly.

Two of us did 7 miles. 3 did 9 miles, together, & one kept going to finish 18 miles! She is prepping for a Disney marathon. She spoke of her friend doing the Dopey Challenge. This is a WEEKEND of races: a 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon & full marathon in 4 days. "Are you doing the Dopey Challenge?" I asked. "No, I'm just doing the marathon." -I literally laughed out loud. I often say, "I 'only ran' XXX miles." I have never said, "I only did the marathon." This is not unique, though. Many trail races I've participated in have had races ranging from: 5K, 5 miles, 10K, 1/2 marathon, marathon, 50K, 50 miler, 100K & 100 miler over a long weekend. I've "only done" the shorter races. I realized how "silly" it sounded to undercut such an accomplishment.

It was "only" 7, for me, today. I say "only" in comparison to mileage I've done in the past- not in comparison to what others did, today. It felt awkward but good to be around others, talking about overcoming injuries, short term as well as long term plans we each had in the works.

We followed the slogan on my shirt: Run Happy... & before we knew it, we were done. I'm adding a mile or two, next weekend as I build my base, again. Taking a break has been good. I was starting to feel a bit burned out; but, now, it's time to start stoking the fire, again.



Outside winter running: prevents cabin fever &  makes the miles & months appear to go by faster. Before you know it winter will be "done." Get out & enjoy winter running at your local Metroparks. Soon Spring will be here. Embrace the cold... & then the heat. Spring races are just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment