Saturday, November 11, 2017

Churchill's 1/2 Marathon race recap: I'm learning that if I have doubt in my abilities- which is always- I just say 'Whatever' & don't expect 'anything' except to finish. The pressure is "off." I believe 'no one is expecting anything great, now' & I seem to perform better. Today, I was expecting a 2:10 race.

(TMI) I was in a physical funk this week. It happens every month. My performance dips. My legs literally are so heavy I can't run. My breathing is off & I'm as tired as all get out. I call it my slog week. I read a book that explains it is a mid month hormonal dip & woman are prone to injuries, for about a three day slump. I just do what I can & then, like magic, the week ends & I can train, again. This is "slog week." I had absolutely no expectations for today's race. I considered NOT even showing up, earlier this week. I questioned if I would even finish. If my legs didn't work & I walked, I would get too cold & probably DNF. I thought 2:30 if I walk-ran. I thought 2:10 if I was able to move & trotted. I was tight & my left leg was giving me threats from the start. I just ran "yellow-orange." (Coach Jenny Hadfield talks about running in "color" which can shift depending on the course & other physical, daily limits. Yellow is easy. Orange is more effort & red is all out effort.) I ran Yellow-hitting-Orange, today. The official clock time said 2:02 when I finished but I didn't start when the clock started. We will see what the official time is, soon.

I walked a few steps at mile 10's incline & I ran 1/2 way up the hill at mile 12. I walked it to the top, ran the flat & ran the last overpass. I let gravity help, opened up & flew down the declines.

I have definitely become a stronger physical runner this year. I still have limited mental toughness. I have enough grit to show up for the fight; I just question all of the variables & how they will affect the final outcome. I err on the side of caution. That's not a pessimist; that's a realist.

The optimist in me signed up for the Spring Marathon in Training Group, again. I trained a year & saw significant improvements. Imagine what will happen, next year?! I had always hoped for a 2 hour 1/2 marathon. Now I am "there", regularly. THIS cycle, I want to regularly hit sub-2 hour races. It's possible... & I can't wait. I'll train for a full but will likely see the consistent results in my 1/2's. I'm good with that.

I saw my training group, Run Toledo Ambassadors and other friends at the start and finish. We encouraged & hugged each other. I'm getting the hang of this "socializing" thing.  


Today during the race, I thought: "only 6 more miles." Then I thought, "When did my mentality shift to the final 6 being easy-peasy-- especially during FUNK week, after my phone/music died in the cold?"  I'm not sure; but I like it. 😘 You just never know what race day will bring... but you'll never find out if you don't toe the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment