Friday, November 24, 2017

As I reflect on yesterday, it wasn't just 5 miles. There were 2 water stations on the course. "It's only 5 miles. Who needs water for 5 miles?" The thought quickly came & left. "When did 5 become 'only'?"

We did Jim's pace. He is slower than he used to be before his illness. We categorize our life, now, "before Jim got sick" & "after Jim got better." Jim poured over his numbers, yesterday. His age group ranking, his overall ranking, total number of runners, fastest in his age group, etc. It can be torture, sometimes.

Jim ran a few seconds slower than, last year--BUT-- he is a good 20 pounds heavier and stronger than last year! The ease & feeling of overall strength he had when he crossed the finish line is also to be taken into consideration. Numbers don't tell the whole story. My time doesn't show I was running with Jim. My time doesn't show I was high-5'ing every police officer & saying thank you. My time doesn't say I was taking pictures & waving to little kids on the bus as I was in my Pocahontas outfit- running next to a "politically incorrect" costumed Pilgrim. I waited for people to say something. No one did until the finish. An older man approached Jim & said he liked his outfit "now, when everything has to be politically correct." Jim said, "It's okay. I married a little Indian" then points to me. "Oh, all right!" the old man says. -Ewwww! We weren't trying to be political; but, I guess we were expecting to "stir the pot." Most people didn't say anything. What could they say? Clearly Jim is "the white man" & I AM Indian. We ran together; &, we make it work.

Did we dress up to celebrate Thanksgiving? Some people will say so. I love the idea that I have some connection to the idea of a trail running, Disney Indian. Some pointed out to me that she was likely a child bride- unlike Disney portrays. I have no doubt that is true. I have not researched it. Little known shocker, though: it is still practiced, today. Child brides are common in places where girls don't have access to education. Where girls don't have access to education, what else "are" they but property and a tool to grow & sustain a family. This is why we feel so strongly about our daughters receiving an education. They may CHOOSE to someday marry... or not... but they will not NEED to be dependent on anyone in their life. (Clearly my pet peeve-- but I'm going off topic.)

Back to the subject of our first world Turkey Trot race: I didn't celebrate holidays growing up. Part of me feels like I'm breaking a law as I dress up for a race. I'm still not officially celebrating holidays; but, I'm not pretending they don't exist anymore. I'm not refusing to utter the holiday's name. And clearly, yesterday, I dressed as an Indian- associated with Thanksgiving traditions. I just wanted to be Pocahontas; and, if people wouldn't look at me weird, I'd do it more often. (I'm ready to bust this outfit out for a Disney race! 💕) Can you imagine me wearing this at Oak Openings on the Yellow/Scout Trail? 😂😆😂😆

I did my first, solo, Turkey Trot (not dressed in costume) 3 years ago. When Jim was sick & we were visiting Cleveland Clinic. I needed to run & didn't know the area. What better way to get a run in but follow the arrows & not be alone during a challenging time? Jim's Atheist step mom (her own words) was making a meal. She is kind & did not make me feel pressured to celebrate "anything" other than have a meal after Jim's doctor appointment. It was the first time I had been part of such a large meal. No prayer was said. No religion was discussed. I felt awkward but included. We came back into town the following year. This time Jim & I both dressed as Indians. We had so much fun & the group smiled at our outfits. -This year, the big meal was cancelled in Euclid. Jim & I had already paid for the race so we went, anyways. There were almost 9,000 runners! It was crazy & an adventure that I share with my little "white man." (Jim asked me to revise this as "my little, white Polack. -Living "dangerously" & politically incorrect.) I hope to participate in this every year, now. Why? My motive: It's running! It's a large group of festive runners; &, I'm not running solo, anymore. There will always be a race I can RACE... but there aren't many opportunities to dress up in costume with my now healthy hubby & have fun. Running fun?! Yep! Another "never thought that would be true" fact.

I am grateful.

I have been saying for the past 2 years, "I am grateful..." I do not use those words, lightly. When you've been through hell, watching your family suffer, you are grateful for breathing on your own, walking unassisted, eating, driving, working, healthy enough to do housework, etc.

I don't need "Thanksgiving" to remind me to be thankful; but, I understand the sentiment. I am giving thanks EVERY day.

No comments:

Post a Comment