Monday, October 30, 2017

I've been injured so many times that I get nervous when a "niggle" persists longer than a couple of days. I assess: "Is it a decreasing-annoyance niggle or affecting-my-gait niggle?"

After my last 1/2 marathon & 10K weekend, I had a couple of niggles. I took some days off, cut back my mileage this past week & decided to try again, this week. One problem: running solo meant I was slacking, today, my first day "back," & considering bailing on Churchill's, next weekend. The negative talk started in my mind: "I am slow. I am fat. I had a fluke 'good' race. I am going to suck at Churchill's-- in front of everyone. People are going to see me walking..."

I considered selling my spot, today. I tried to get out for a run & couldn't. I was sure Churchill's would be the same. I would lack energy & mojo. Then-- there was a Yeti intervention. One of my coaches used our private group message to communicate our route & suggested head lamps. I hadn't run with the group in weeks because of racing & just easing back, afterwards. I didn't know what the reception would be. -I should not have doubted. Everyone is always smiling.

We started our tempo run & one woman asked if we could run through the graveyard on the way back. The group was enthusiastic- except me. I-am-a-chicken. I was out voted & we looped through on the way back. I wasn't scared. I would have preferred not to have gone through... but no one tried to scare me; so, it was all good.

We increased our pace & eased the pace through 6 miles. I just "hold on" during these work outs. I don't know what pace we are hitting or for how long. I trust our coaches for this. As we came up monument hill, I felt strong.

I don't know what Churchill's will bring. I may have a crappy race. I may have a great race. I do know one thing: I won't know unless I do it.

Running with company, tonight, made the miles a whole lot easier, much more fun & finally "done." The workout reminded me that my body is stronger than I think. Miles at Churchill's, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment