Saturday, October 21, 2017

Today, I participated in a small race. It was a 1/2 marathon & their 5th year. This was my first time at this race because it is usually right after Detroit. I normally pick Detroit & can't seriously "race" two weekends in a row.

This year, however, I ran Chicago TWO weeks ago. There was no reason not to try.

I had three people asking if I was going to be there; so, the pressure to participate (& perform) were in my head.

There were 4 of us that talked about running together. We discussed pace. One changed her mind & ran solo-- then there were 3. I was going to stay with the group; but after Chicago, I needed to know what I could do. Eventually, the other 2 broke pace & I didn't slow down to stay with them. I was running solo since mile 6. I felt comfortable until mile 11. I only had 2 more miles. I broke pace to accommodate for shin splints.

I KNOW I heel strike. I know I need to lean. I know I need to kick back not reach forward with my "straight knees." I know I should engage my glutes. If I did... I wouldn't be cramping & would be doing faster times. "Doing" it all is a different story, however. When I do one of the list, I immediately feel my pace surge! I just mentally tire thinking of good form, if it isn't natural, & slip quickly into bad habits. 🙈

My time was 2:00 on the nose. This is a 1/2 marathon PR for me. I've run the distance faster; but, it was during a 25K-- so there's no record of it except on my Garmin. 😁

I am finishing my regiment of steroids & antibiotics from my food reaction in Chicago. I feel like I've gained 5 pounds! I'm too afraid to look but my tight clothes are confirming without a number.

The extra weight made today an unexpected surprise. A friend told me, today: "Dang you're fast! Look how much longer my legs are than yours. You just pick 'em up & put 'em down, fast!" She had no idea how much I appreciated hearing that. I focus so much on poor biomechanics, I forget: it's still a matter of how fast your cadence is, too. Apparently, these shortie legs excel at turning over. 😁 My little cartoon-spinner legs get me where I need to go-- some days faster than others.

However, a girl cannot live on cadence alone. 😁 Back to the drawing board. Churchill's is on deck, next.

No comments:

Post a Comment