Sunday, March 19, 2017

Every week, I look at my training plan, on my refrigerator door. I refer to it often, during the week. --Every week, there is satisfaction as I move my little Post-It, sticky tab down a week to easily identify which week I'm "in." --Little by little, my heart quickens as I see the tab moving farther down the list to the finish... closer to race weekend.

That said: let's consider & plan, if you haven't already, race day weekend. :) I HIGHLY recommend downloading the RaceJoy app if you have a smart phone. It is a wealth of information and will make you aware of "everything" from road closures, bib number(s), expo time & location, course maps, countdown to race day, etc. It is knowledge at your fingertips as soon as you need it. That's a good thing!

Many of us are local. For those coming into town, provisions have been made to find you a place to rest.
RESERVE A ROOM AT A GCM PARTNER HOTEL

Are you coming into town early or staying for awhile, afterwards? Looking for something to keep you or the kids busy?
RACE WEEK ENTERTAINMENT

If you are a merchant and would like to sell your goods or services at the expo, provisions for that are also available. HEALTH & WELLNESS EXPO VENDORS

What next? Expo time! Numerous merchants will be on hand to offer services, races, memberships, race gear, etc. This is always a fun time to shop for races and gear.
HEALTH & WELLNESS EXPO — RACE DAY PACKET PICKUP & REGISTRATION

At the expo on Saturday, there will be more than packet pick up & gear to look at!
MEET THE UT FOOTBALL PLAYERS
WATCH THE AGILITY ANGELS DOG SHOW
FINDLEY DAVIES KID’S MARATHON
I must admit, I enjoyed the KID'S EXPO, as well! Information, organizations and activities geared toward kids will also be on site to help keep our young athletes and parents informed.

Other valuable information you can find on the Mercy Health Glass City Marathon webpage: where to eat! :) Toledo is known for having many places to eat. A few places are offering discounts! Visit any of the restaurants listed, during race weekend (Saturday and Sunday) and receive a 20% discount off your meal. You must wear your official event shirt, or your finisher medal from any of this year’s Glass City Marathon events.
RESTAURANTS OFFERING GCM DISCOUNTS!!!

Race Day: Mercy Health Glass City Marathon will have OFFICIAL PACERS COURTESY OF DAVE’S RUNNING.

And the reward for your training is...? Knowing you are helping local charities is always a "feel good." TOLEDO AREA NONPROFIT PARTNER FUNDRAISING  -Not to mention going to bed with self satisfaction that you accomplished something AMAZING! Some serious bling around your neck doesn't hurt, either! (I heard the medals are really BIG, this year. Who doesn't want heavy hardware?!)


As I finish a week of training, I feel grateful. I am grateful that I am involved in a sport with a supportive community. I am a mid-packer. I am slower than some & ahead of others. I will be a face in a crowd that most will never notice or remember. I will not likely ever be in the elite starting corral. So WHY do I continue to train? I have thought about this long & hard. During some especially tiring times, I question "why?" --I heard it explained this way: 'Running is the pursuit of mastery... but never really mastering...' --I have incremental goals. When I get near it, I want it more. Eventually, after time, I reach that goal. I am happy for just a tiny amount of time before I "need" to push past it. A new goal is set, quickly; and, I often have a race on my schedule to hold me accountable to a training schedule. I am ever pursuing faster times and longer distances. I hope you are, too. 

Sunday, April 23rd is approaching quickly! Wrap up your plans to join us at the starting line. A lot of organizing is going into this event to make it "top notch"... just for YOU! :)  Hoping your many miles lead you here.








No comments:

Post a Comment