Tuesday, February 21, 2017

I wasn't sure what to expect, going to the new physical therapist, Monday. I've been running crooked for so long, I figured it was the hand I was dealt in life & I'd have to deal with the consequences as my mileage went up-- & I crashed in a fireball after the finish line- always. While I know exercise can sculpt a body to a degree, I have been grasping at straws since I started running. I don't even know what to ask FOR at a running store, or from a coach. I've had some limited success but I figured I'd roll the dice on this therapist (that I met through the training group at track night). I hoped I might get some new information- a silver bullet. I've had two physical therapists in the past. They were both kind & helped me loosen tight muscles (which alleviated pain); but, I was looking for answers to "why" I was breaking down after each race. I wanted preventative measures and strengthening exercises to AVOID the pain. The equipment through Promedica was top notch. It gave information on my cadence. It gave information on which leg was propelling me more than the other! Videos showed my foot strike & my form collapsing with every foot strike. I'm kind of wondering how I made it this far! Mr. Jeff gave me sideway Monster walks (legs crouched in a lunge position) with a band around my ankles- moving one way, then back to the start. I am doing modified clam shells as well as single leg squats on a block- focusing on not collapsing in form. One leg is strong & has horrible functionality. The other leg is weak & has better function. My heel strike jars everything into my hip, shifting stability. Solution: "patty cake" the ground (my words, not his). I attempted to "drop" at my knee "sooner" rather than extend my leg as far. This resulted in a flatter foot strike instead of heel striking. My muscles would be absorbing the impact of foot strikes rather than a shock wave running up my leg into my pelvis. In theory, I understood his clear explanations. BUT-- in real life, could I implement it? I am surprised to report, "I did it." At least I think I did it. Another treadmill trot should help us see.

I missed my Tuesday track night as I stayed with Jillian to work on a paper. She is quite capable & finished it; but, I sat with her & offered a bit of help in sentence structure. I looked up information with her but had no clear understanding to help much. I did my assigned exercises instead of track. I will feel it, tomorrow. I can feel it working where I usually feel SO tight! I am confident it will help on race day.

I am pleased. Two visits with Jeff, the ultra runner, triathlete & physical therapist. He "gets it" when I say those are my same eventual goals, as well. He is professional & knowledgeable. I am SO optimistic, I can barely stand me! 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment