Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Second swim lesson: UNBELIEVABLE!!! I was more nervous, today, than last week! "Why?" my teacher asked. "Because last week there were no expectations. Now, I feel like you need me to do everything I did, last week-- very well." (I had no time to drive to the pool & practice.) I had ONE 1/2 hour lesson & I learned more than I ever did at my last class (twice a week for months).

My teacher learned to swim AS an adult so she is respectful, patient & explanatory. She smiled & assuaged my fears. She helped fix my form more, again, today; &, GUESS WHO WAS SWIMMING LAPS?! No floaties, no boards, no fins-- all me!!! To some this may sound remedial. To adults that never learned to swim as kids (like myself), to talk about your inabilities is taboo. I hope, like running, me talking about starting at the basics will motivate others to "just consider trying".

Trying something that mentally terrifies you & succeeding is the best feeling in the world! Running taught me that "you're gonna' suck" at the beginning but there will be advancement- eventually. :)

There was a young life guard. Last week he shouted out: "You gotta get a breath in there!" I ignored him. I told her, "I knew I was close to the wall. I could make it." Today, as I did a 1/2 length of the pool, he yelled out, "I thought you said you couldn't swim!" (I think that was a compliment.) :) As I progressed farther he kept yelling "encouragement" across the pool. Finally, I did one full lap. "THERE IT IS!" he yelled.

TWO 1/2 hour lessons-- TWO! Teacher: "Guess what the expectations will be, next week?" :(  *yikes*

I'm not saying I'm a strong swimmer. I'm definitely not saying I'm a graceful swimmer. I still MUST "think" about my form. "Arms to center- hands: "fins" not "forks"- thumbs "down"- arch back- feet to water level- breathe ..." I am already more relaxed; but kudos to her for starting me in the shallower end of the pool. I wouldn't be as relaxed if I started in the deep end.

We talked about buoyancy. More cellulite, lack of bone density & relaxed muscles make you float. Now, of those three, I could control how much I relaxed. She noticed my "death grip" hand positions going into the water. She noticed the tense, shoulder rotations. My rapid "I don't want to drown" kicking, I imagine, she will address, soon. She corrected my glide. She "noticed", "suggested", demonstrated then directed. She is an amazing teacher! I can't wait to give it another try. I TRULY never thought this old mom could learn a new sport. I'm a happy girl.

"Just keep swimming..."



No comments:

Post a Comment