Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Update on Jim: He was still feeling crappy despite cutting his insulin back to only 4 units of long lasting insulin, daily. He decided he wasn't going to take it & see how he felt. I agreed only under close monitoring. He has gone 4 days without long lasting insulin-- & his numbers have held steady. He did have one high reading where he needed two small units of fast acting (short lasting) Humalog (insulin injection). No insulin has caused his appetite to want FOOD- not just Ensure replacement drinks.  It causes more work for me as his mind is racing with recipes & (quite frankly) I am not chef-material. As his strength returns, I suspect he will be in the kitchen, soon. He is still talking about opening a restaurant, someday. Until then, I am a short order cook & waitress as his appetite is waking up.

Jim is still extremely emaciated but I suspect his weight & strength will finally be returning. His communication & response times are quickening. He still tires quickly & is very emotional about people seeing him- but I am hopeful this will change, soon.

It's been a rough 5 months for all of us. I reviewed Jim's hospital notes & records, recently. St. Luke's doctors were not expecting him to survive. Call me naive, but I couldn't believe it. They had control of his breathing & other vital functions, monitoring "everything"-- I just didn't consider it viable that he could die. He didn't and now we have a second chance.

Our family life is more peaceful. Communication is frank. Despite "discomfort" this experience has changed our family for the better. It has matured our teen daughters and heightened our communication. No pretenses- tell it like it is, how you feel, when you can... be patient & empathetic...

The storm is almost over.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment